Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new 2013 burgie 400 has a very loud engine rattle at highway speeds. The faster I go, the more it rattles. It starts about 60mph. Any ideas what that noise is? Does everyone have this?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
New, as in under warrantee? Take it back. NOTHING rattles on the 400, save the pitter patter of your heart strings.

Seriously, there should be just the slightest of hums coming from the engine at highway speeds, a touch more if you're accelerating. I have to duck my head under the windscreen airflow just to hear the engine at cruising speeds.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Mine is a 2008 400. I had a ratteling sound like the valves were chattering only to find out it was the key in the ignition ratteling. When it rattles put your finger on the key and see if that stops it.
If its under warrany, take it back.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Can you be more specific on the sound. Is it like something on the outside, loose and vibrating or like the engine internal parts grinding?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Mike, the variator weights do make some noise at various revs. They make a mild rattle/knocking on a medium to heavy throttle under acceleration. But normally no noise in the cruise on a neutral throttle setting, or when slowing down. That may be what you are hearing. You could describe the noise they make as like marbles in a box rattling around. Is your oil level ok? If you are not sure about the noise, then do go back to your dealer who can have a listen.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I had this noise since brand new, it's normal. Just like you said about the throttle settings.
Thanks. : )

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mike, the variator weights do make some noise at various revs. They make a mild rattle/knocking on a medium to heavy throttle under acceleration. But normally no noise in the cruise on a neutral throttle setting, or when slowing down. That may be what you are hearing. You could describe the noise they make as like marbles in a box rattling around. Is your oil level ok? If you are not sure about the noise, then do go back to your dealer who can have a listen.
I had this noise since brand new, it's normal. Just like you said about the throttle settings.
Thanks. : )
I think you are both right. However, Quantum Mechanic, it does it all the time at higher speeds. Don't really hear it much around 60 mph or less unless I open the throttle a little or it goes under a load on hill. The faster I go, the more steady it is, but of course, the faster you go, the more it's under a load. It is never just "cruising" because it takes horsepower to overcome the wind friction, so just like opening the throttle at 60 and hearing it, when you are cruising 70 the throttle is open more and it's getting closer to "wide open." Hope I made that clear? (oil level is fine, yeah box of marbles). I think a lot of riders are deaf or just not tuned-in to the mechanics of a vehicle, so they don't hear it, or ignore it, then tell you it's not normal and you should take it back to the dealer. I'm guessing they all do it and some of us hear it.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
oneranger, yep it sounds like the normal rattle. I hear it at lower speeds when I accelerate, but I don't hear mine at cruise (I'm often at 70+mph) as I wear ear protection to prevent hearing loss. Without the hearing protection I'd probably hear some rattle. It sounds as if you don't need to worry.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
If this hadn't happened to me personally, there is no way I'd suggest it: Check to see if the bolts holding your license plate are tight. I had what sounded like an engine rattle for a couple of weeks, and could never locate it. While washing the bike one day, I noticed the license plate was loose. I tightened the bolts and went about my business. The next time I rode - no more "engine" rattle.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If this hadn't happened to me personally, there is no way I'd suggest it: Check to see if the bolts holding your license plate are tight. I had what sounded like an engine rattle for a couple of weeks, and could never locate it. While washing the bike one day, I noticed the license plate was loose. I tightened the bolts and went about my business. The next time I rode - no more "engine" rattle.
Nice suggestion, but nope, they are tight! Just a normal rattle it seems from what the other guys are saying.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
I have the k7 400. Last week I sanded down the clutch shoes and was successful in eliminating the slippage and groaning. When I tested it at highway speeds I found that there was an acceleration knocking noise that I never had before. Though it may be 'normal' it is probably something that can be fixed. My money is on the cvt. I am not a mechanic. I just go by what I learn here on the forums. My theory is that since the dynamics of the clutch has changed it causes the cvt to change it's dynamic operation also. They are connected. Maybe just enough to get one of those roller balls to start knocking around in a dusty track. This week I need to clean out the cvt and degrees the movable and fixed faces. I'll let you know if that works.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have the k7 400. Last week I sanded down the clutch shoes and was successful in eliminating the slippage and groaning. When I tested it at highway speeds I found that there was an acceleration knocking noise that I never had before. Though it may be 'normal' it is probably something that can be fixed. My money is on the cvt. I am not a mechanic. I just go by what I learn here on the forums. My theory is that since the dynamics of the clutch has changed it causes the cvt to change it's dynamic operation also. They are connected. Maybe just enough to get one of those roller balls to start knocking around in a dusty track. This week I need to clean out the cvt and degrees the movable and fixed faces. I'll let you know if that works.
Great... we are all waiting with bated breath to see if there is a cause/relationship to this sound that some of us are hearing and most say it's normal. Would be great to find a simple fix for it and get rid of that irritating sound.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
No there is no fix. They all do it. It's not harmful. It can be worse on some than others due to dust build up in variator but even a new variator and rollers doesn't cure it. It's always there and is a characteristic of the Burgman and some other bikes with this type of auto tranny. Most of us don't even hear it after owning the bike for a few months. Plus, no one else can hear it either so don't worry.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Quantum, I never had the noise until I opened up the clutch and messed around in there. At least not so loud so that I could hear it. I can't help believing that something has changed in there to cause the knocking as it happened for the first time immediately after the clutch clean-out. I mentioned in another thread that mph vs rpm have increased from 60mph at 6k rpm to 65 mph at 6k and up by five at 70 and 80 also. If you are saying that it cannot be fixed then I am wrong about the relationship between the clutch and the variator. I need to clean out the cvt anyway so I'll let you know how that goes. Thanks QM

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
First I would check for loose bits. From nose to tail.

Second I would clean out the belt dust from the variator. I put a light coat of spray lube on the sliders (or rollers, if you have the stock set-up) after cleaning everything.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts