Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I changed my transmission and engine oils myself at 2,500 miles and filter myself thanks to Le Dude's guide.

A word of advice to anybody to anybody who is concerned about undertaking this task themselves , if I can do it believe me, anyone can!

Anyway I filled up with the recommended volume of oil (2.9L I think) and the oil level indicator showed as full. I am now at 4000 miles and the oil level indicator has gone down by about 1/3, in other works 2/3 full.

This seems like excessive oil usage to me and I am concerned, could anybody tell me whether I am right to be concerned and suggest any possible causes.

Many thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
According to Suzuki that is an acceptable level of oil use. Even when you get down to the add oil mark it will only take about a pint to fill it back to the full mark. So you've used less than a cup in 1,500 miles.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Could also be like mine as my lost engine oil goes into the transmission. Oil light comes on at about 3500 miles after I've changed oil. Always drain out more oil from trans then I put in.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Howard, welcome to the site.

As Buffalo says, you haven't used much oil at all. This is pretty normal on an engine that hasn't done many miles yet. Your Burgman 650 engine is still actually conforming (finishing the running in process) even though it's an '08' model. This carries on for a few thousand miles after the initial running in has been completed. Just to say I would recommend using a good quality motorcycle oil of the right grade for your ambient operating temperature range. The engine oil consumption will settle over time but don't baby it too much. The engine likes to be ridden with some gusto when safe to do so to ensure conforming finishes on time (usually around the 6k mark).

Enjoy the bike.

·
Registered
735 Posts
You could check for oil migration into the reduction gearbox ("transmission") by opening the transmission oil level plug. If oil runs out, then some has migrated from the engine to the reduction gearbox. It's normal in the 650. My engine was slightly over-full and after riding 1000 miles down the coast to CA last month I found that 4-5 tablespoons of engine oil had migrated. When I changed the oils after coming back home, I made sure to fill the engine oil to halfway up the sight glass, no more.

BTW, the sight glass is pretty sensitive, it only takes a small amount of oil to move from halfway up the glass to over the Full mark. So it doesn't sound like excessive consumption at all, whether it's migrating or burning.

I agree with the guys, even if you're burning oil it's not necessarily bad. After all, it just means that you have some extra oil seeping past the piston rings to coat the cylinder walls, which is not a bad thing at all.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
An old motorcycle mechanic 45 year experience who still co-own Suzuki dealership told me few year ago that Suzuki state it acceptable to use up to 1 litre of oil per 1000 mile.

He also prefer that any bike use some oil that not at all.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I am on my 3rd 650. My "change oil" light came on last week. It is the first time that the "check oil" light did not come on during the 3,000 miles. It is my first oil change on this bike. When I pulled a heavy trailer, I have used 2 quarts in 3,000 miles. I did not notice any other changes or oddities. I would not let it alarm you.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Suzuki state it acceptable to use up to 1 litre of oil per 1000 mile.
What?! 1 liter per 1000 mile? There's definitely some mistake with zeroes here, either in liters or in miles.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
What?! 1 liter per 1000 mile? There's definitely some mistake with zeroes here, either in liters or in miles.
No mistake, that exactly what he tell me Suzuki consider acceptable here.

I even ask if he fooling with me.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Yes, Cherie is correct. It's pretty common for manufacturers to feel comfortable with up to 1 litre of oil being consumed in 1000 miles, that's cars and bikes. However, important to say that most don't use that much, or any at all!

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Back when I first bought my 07 it was using oil. Before Suzuki would repair it under warranty the dealer had to do an oil consumption test. Suzuki would not authorize the repair unless it was using more than a quart in 1000 miles as they consider that to be acceptable consumption. Turned out it was over that threshold. Cause was a bad valve guide seal.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Reminded of "Eraser", it burns as much oil as it does gas, but it's - yours (c)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts