Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Afternoon!

About to do a tune up on my 08 Burgman 400.

My questions is the engine oil and final reduction gear oil process both address the same thing?

If I do oil change and not the final reduction gear oil replacement am I in the clear or do I need to do both procedures at the same time?

I purchased in 2018 and did no maintenance work to it since.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Owners manual says reduction gear oil replaced every 7500 miles. Engine oil every 3500.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Uncle Fester Thank you for your response. Not sure if final gear reduction oil was done when I purchased in 2018.

I know for sure that I need to replace the oil & oil filter this week. Should I also change the final reduction gear oil at the same time or wait?

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I would change the final drive oil and filter, it's been 2 years. Then, you will KNOW its condition. BUT changing the FD oil requires removal of the CVT (magnesium) cover.

I am down to changing my engine oil at intervals no greater than 1,500 miles. It is a disgusting black mess by then.
And I am changing the filter with EACH oil change. I change the FD oil at 3,000 to 5,000 miles, when I clean out the CVT case, and I use synthetic oil, it doesn't require much oil anyway.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Remember to use a marker to number the CVT cover bolts before you remove them. They are made up of different length bolts. Also a syringe will make it easier to fill the reduction gear oil. Check out Mitch's videos. He has one for almost everything.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the video @Uncle Fester!

So change the gear oil and oil filter this week. Then about 1,500 to 3,000 miles change the engine oil & oil filter again?

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Yeah as I said, it's only a quart and a half for the engine. If you use synthetic for the final drive, you can go to the recommended interval.
I'm thinking of using Delvac or such in the engine. with 1500 to 2000 mile change interval.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts