Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that after starting my burgy in the morning she purrs almost like an electric motor.

After a few miles, she seems to get a little noisier. She runs smooth and shifts well. Just doesn't
purr as good as when cold.

Does this happen with all burgies?

·
Registered
123 Posts
When last did you drive open road and higher speed for a longer duration? I think now that it is summer the engine tolerances are probably bigger. My 2017 stays quiet while I ride but when I stop and open the helmet, I can also hear the engine ticking over. What oil do you use?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When last did you drive open road and higher speed for a longer duration? I think now that it is summer the engine tolerances are probably bigger. My 2017 stays quiet while I ride but when I stop and open the helmet, I can also hear the engine ticking over. What oil do you use?
10w40 conventional oil. I thought about a heavier weight oil.
I was wondering if this is common.

·
Registered
779 Posts
When you start the bike the oil is thick and dampens noise as the oil is 10w as the bike warms up oil is thinned to 40w so you will hear more engine noise. Think about putting some marbles in a tin with treacle give it a shake then do the same with water poor analogy at best but you get the idea

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think you have it backwards. 10W is thinner that 40W.

Reactions: Kobus

·
Registered
109 Posts
We need a little better detailed description than just , “ seems to get a little noisier”, to give you some useful advice. An audio video would be helpful too. Keep in mind, when cold, you’re on fast idle, and when hot, it’s a slower idle speed, so it’s not an apple to apple comparison. You also have steel parts moving in an aluminum housing with different thermal expansion rates, so there will be some minimum differences in clearances.
Unless you’re in a super hot climate , going higher viscosity than 10w-40 , would only be potentially masking a problem.

·
Registered
33 Posts
A good quality full synthetic oil would help. If there isn't some other problem. Which there probably isn't.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts