Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The engine idle on the 650 seems a little loud and sounds somewhat like a diesel... is that normal??
This bike is new to dealers and they don't seem to know much about it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
That's quite normal. If you really scan a lot of these posts, you will see a number of references to the 650 "diesel" sound. There are a couple of posts that discuss using certain hard-to-find synthetic oils to reduce the noise. Synthetics are a very good choice, but they are expensive, and using them just to reduce the noise seems a little extravegant, but it's your money. I use commonly-available full synthetics just to treat the engine nice, and still have the diesel sound. It's good that you can hear it clearly, so that when the sound changes, you are alerted to something changing in your bike.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
yea, normal. I've tried several different oils, etc and it pretty much sounds the same (from Rotella synthetic to the Mobile 1 motorcycle racing oil). About the only sound improvement occured when I went to a synthetic for the 'transmission' (reduction gears). The while got somewhat less noticeable with a half helmet.

Having said that about the diesel sound, well, I really got used to it pretty quick, then as I've recounted here a couple of times, I was sitting at a traffic light and after a couple of seconds my 06 650 really started dieseling LOUD... I mean, it got very noticeable thru a full face helmet. I was thinking, man, maybe I need to change the oil again, and just then I looked in my rear view and all see was the grille of a Mac Cement truck (that's caught me TWICE, with not checking my mirrors and having a semi or cement truck sneak up on me) idling and the diesel sound I was hearing was from THAT.. :lol: .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts