Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all....just wondering if anyone has ever tried that "engine ice" product that claims to lower your coolant temperature by at least 20 degrees. if any have used it, please let me know your results....thank you

·
Registered
585 Posts
The only way that would possibly work is if your motor is overheating - if not then you'll need to remove the thermostat since it will allow coolant to pass only after the coolant is at a particular temperature. If you're motor is overheating you should find the problem - engine ice sounds like a band-aid to a more serious problem.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I've ridden in 115 degree weather and the bikes thermometer didn't budge from normal. Why would you want to use it?

I think Suzuki's cooling system is just fine. Don't mess with it unless its broken and in that case, fix it proper, not with some additive.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
It might work but as the others said there is really no need for it on the 650. Unless there is something wrong with your cooling system the 650 does not have a problem with running hot.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
On any modern liquid-to-air cooled engine coolant temperature is controlled by the thermostat. Once the coolant reaches the t-stat's opening temperature flow through the radiator begins; after that the thermostat continuously opens further and closes as needed to maintain an equilibrium between the heat generated by the engine and the cooling system's ability to shed that heat into the ambient air--to keep the coolant temperature at the thermostat's nominal rating.

There is nothing that could be added to the coolant fluid that would alter the temperature at which the thermostat strikes that equilibrium--anyone that says otherwise is a fool at best, but more likely a liar...

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
On any modern liquid-to-air cooled engine coolant temperature is controlled by the thermostat. Once the coolant reaches the t-stat's opening temperature flow through the radiator begins; after that the thermostat continuously opens further and closes as needed to maintain an equilibrium between the heat generated by the engine and the cooling system's ability to shed that heat into the ambient air--to keep the coolant temperature at the thermostat's nominal rating.

There is nothing that could be added to the coolant fluid that would alter the temperature at which the thermostat strikes that equilibrium--anyone that says otherwise is a fool at best, but more likely a liar...
+1 This stuff is snake oil.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I use it because it has freeze protection (down to -26 F) and a lot of track day organizations allow it. That way if we get a late cold snap or an early freeze, I don't have to worry about engine damage before I put my track bike into storage. It's also non-toxic, and so that keeps my wife happy (we have dogs). As far as actual cooling ability, pure water has the best ability to cool a motor. We add the other stuff to prevent corrosion, provide freezing protection, and lubricate moving parts like the water pump.

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
Agreed, I have never had an overheating problem, and that includes 90 mph indicated, 2 up, 95 degree (f) day, for 100 miles.

Not needed unless, you are racing on the race track, running the thermostat wide open, and still having an overheating problem. Then maybe.

When my son was doing that, he used some similar 'Water Wetter" (I think), also if there was spillage on the track, there was less of slick hazard for the other riders.

Besides, if it's cooler than normal operating temp., how would it warm up?

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I use it because it has freeze protection (down to -26 F) and a lot of track day organizations allow it. That way if we get a late cold snap or an early freeze, I don't have to worry about engine damage before I put my track bike into storage. It's also non-toxic, and so that keeps my wife happy (we have dogs). As far as actual cooling ability, pure water has the best ability to cool a motor. We add the other stuff to prevent corrosion, provide freezing protection, and lubricate moving parts like the water pump.
Regular 50-50 antifreeze such as Prestone or other brand good to -35°F.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
As far as actual cooling ability, pure water has the best ability to cool a motor. We add the other stuff to prevent corrosion, provide freezing protection, and lubricate moving parts like the water pump.
And to raise the boiling point because a coolant that boils is no good at all. The other thing that raises the boiling point is pressure as in the I think it was .8 bar radiator cap (closest psi cap is 13 I think) on the 650.

·
Registered
255 Posts
While lowering the temperature of the bike sounds like a good idea, you actually want the engine to run hotter ( not overheating). If you look at the older cars they ran thermostats in the 160 degree range where today they run in the 190 to 200 degree range. The reason that the manufacturers are doing this is it makes the engine burn fuel more efficiently giving you cleaner combustion and better gas mileage.
Greg

·
Registered
735 Posts
The only way to lower the coolant temp is to run a lower-temp thermostat. Doing so will most probably mess up your fuel economy because the ECM will think that the engine is still in warm-up, hence programming a rich mixture. That rich mixture will foul the plugs and coke up the cylinders, pistons, and cylinder head. Too-low temps will cause the ugly condensation products in the blow-by gases to remain in the oil instead of being driven off by normal coolant and oil temps. The 650 has an incredibly stable coolant system, as other posters have commented. I wouldn't consider putting anything in the system other than a quality antifreeze and clean water at 50/50 ratio.

·
Administrator
18,742 Posts
Maybe he just has money burning a hole in his pockets. :twisted:

Not worth my money on this bike if I do not have a problem. I have used Water Wetter on my 65 Barracuda with excellent results. But it had a small radiator with a 383 shoehorned in behind it and would overheat all the time.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
"Water Wetter", et al can improve the coolant's thermal conductivity and be of benefit if the cooling system in question is undersized or deficient in some other way--however it will not alter the coolant temperature at equilibrium (assuming the same t-stat) as that is a function of the thermostat's characteristics. Only installation of a "lower temperature" thermostat can do that...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Use engine ice and water wetter all the time in race applications, and it does work for high horsepower heat issues.

Seems unnecessary for our bikes, as they don't make much horsepower, or heat.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts