Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the oil 1000 miles ago and a new air filter. I was driving at 25 miles per hour heard a high pitched metal sound then wham (sounded like a belt breaking) then dead bike. It turns over but no or very little compression. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks

It's a 2003 burgman 400

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
We have had quite a few reports of this sort of engine failure in the 400, not many when one considers the whole population of 400s out there but a bit of a bummer when it happens to you.

Bill Meek was one of the first to provide a detailed report of such a failure.

I do not think we have a definitive cause but the suspicion is that for some reason the engine oil decides to go walk about leaving insufficient oil in the sump/oil pump to do the necessary and then all **** breaks loose.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Have you checked the oil level since you changed it? Do you do a lot of high speed riding?

My '03 400 would use 6 to 8 ounces of oil in 500 miles at highway speeds until I made a more restrictive "restrictor" for the PCV line; even with that it will eat 5 ounces in 1000 miles of high speed riding. I have gotten into the habit of checking the oil level a minimum of every 2 to 5 days depending on how I ride...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I'm a faithful oil checker. It is full, the failure was not from lack of oil. Although one really strange thing was it had standing oil puddled in the bottom of the air cleaner. I will finish tearing into it in the morning.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Yes, I'm a faithful oil checker. It is full, the failure was not from lack of oil. Although one really strange thing was it had standing oil puddled in the bottom of the air cleaner. I will finish tearing into it in the morning.
Yeah that is what I mean about going walkabout and why some owners did the PVC modification. But we do not fully understand the failure mode.

You have made a good start, you should enter the debris field soon:)

·
Registered
661 Posts
This is the crazy thing there is not even a scratch in there, it's like it's in new shape. I don't know how.
Given that's the case, a piston kit should do the trick nicely. I would check the tubes and channels for oil flo to make sure none are blocked, but this may be an easier fix than first thought. Good Luck!

·
Registered
82 Posts
We have had quite a few reports of this sort of engine failure in the 400, not many when one considers the whole population of 400s out there but a bit of a bummer when it happens to you.

Bill Meek was one of the first to provide a detailed report of such a failure.

I do not think we have a definitive cause but the suspicion is that for some reason the engine oil decides to go walk about leaving insufficient oil in the sump/oil pump to do the necessary and then all **** breaks loose.
This is all news to me. I think I read every thread on here several years
ago when I bought my Burgman. I'm well aware of the disappearing oil
at high revs, but this is different, right?

I first read THIS thread last night and did a search on "engine failure"
and didn't get anything. Can you suggest sure-fire search words, please?

Thank you.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was the same way. I sat downi read through them in about two weeks, maybe three. This was new to me. I don't want to put it together and not fix the problem.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
That's the problem with you 'youngsters':p

Do you not believe everything you cannot see for yourself - you doubting Thomas's get thee behind me and worship at the altar of the search engine King - LINKY:idea:;):)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Whew. That was a long read.

Was that two or three bikes in total experiencing this?
(I got tired near the end.)
And they seemed to be fairly low-mileage.
I have almost 45K, so I think I'm more safe?

(I also seriously avoid running much over an indicated 55mph
for more than a minute at a time. Never go over an indicated
75 mph. And I just added a Silverwing to my small stable for
the 65mph stuff. They suck gas much over 60 mph anyway.)

·
Registered
748 Posts
Whew. That was a long read.

Was that two or three bikes in total experiencing this?
(I got tired near the end.)
And they seemed to be fairly low-mileage.
I have almost 45K, so I think I'm more safe?

(I also seriously avoid running much over an indicated 55mph
for more than a minute at a time. Never go over an indicated
75 mph. And I just added a Silverwing to my small stable for
the 65mph stuff. They suck gas much over 60 mph anyway.)
I hold my 400 @ 80 mph riding 2-up for 15-20 minutes at a time, that's 8000 rpms! Guys on here go cross country at high speeds all the time. I expect ZERO issues doing this, so when I'm on this thread asking for advice down the road, you'll know what happened, lol:walk:

·
Registered
82 Posts
I hold my 400 @ 80 mph riding 2-up for 15-20 minutes at a time, that's 8000 rpms! Guys on here go cross country at high speeds all the time. I expect ZERO issues doing this, so when I'm on this thread asking for advice down the road, you'll know what happened, lol:walk:
Ah, but you have the much improved version. I have the Suzuki "test"
version, a 2003. I was reading Suzuki's website on the Burgman 400,
(and I admit it is open to interpretation), but they seem to focus on shorter
trips---"ride around town", "transporting lunch to the country-
side", picking up groceries. But it is probably just their way of increasing
the chances that high-speed minded folks buy their flagship, the 650.
(On the other hand, for the cynical, it will allow their lawyers to point
to their intended purpose for the 400!)

[ From http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%20Lines/Scooters/Products/Burgman%20400/2013/AN400A.aspx"]

"The Burgman 400 ABS is striking in style and flowing with comfort. Powered by a 400cc liquid-cooled engine, the Burgman 400 ABS is a blast to ride around town. With plush suspension, stepped seating, and an adjustable backrest, each ride is as comfortable as the last. Whether you’re transporting lunch to the country-side or picking up some groceries, the huge underseat compartment has got you covered. Each scooter utilizes Suzuki's advanced fuel injection system to ensure a crisp throttle response. Simply put, the Burgman 400 ABS is the ultimate scooter for style and performance."

I would LIKE to believe that high-speed stuff is fine for the 400, but I'm
not that brave because I'm not that wealthy.

Best wishes to you not having to ask for engine advice in the future!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I know it's been a while but I thought I'd report. The bike is all back together and runs like a new one, thanks for the help, advice and moral support

Mark

1 - 20 of 24 Posts