Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that BMW uses Kymco Taiwan made engines for its scooters. How is different than Burgman 650 engine ? I think Burgman engines are made by Suzuki in Japan? I am thinking in terms of construction, layout, efficiency, Quality and Reliability.

Thanks,

Matt

·
Administrator
20,104 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
I know that BMW uses Kymco Taiwan made engines for its scooters. How is different than Burgman 650 engine ? I think Burgman engines are made by Suzuki in Japan? I am thinking in terms of construction, layout, efficiency, Quality and Reliability.

Thanks,

Matt
That's a lot like asking what's the difference between a Ford and Chevy V8.

The Suzuki and BMW engines are both parallel twins of about 650cc. Both have overhead cams and fuel injection and are water cooled. Past that they are totally different engines.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I'm a member of a couple of BMW forums and there is a section dedicated to scooters. There have been some engine issues and some difficulty getting parts for the repairs but I don't think there is enough history to determine the reliability. People who have no problems don't tend to post much about their engines. I think the fuel efficiency is pretty much the same as the 650 but they do require premium fuel.

·
Registered
220 Posts
You are wanting to compare a Suzuki engine that has been in production for some 10-11 years with what I would call a very good track record, to a Kymco engine that has just been manufactured for the BMW. The Kymco at this time has no track record in the BMW, so I don't see where you could compare them at this time. Re-post this question in 3-4 years, you will probably get your answer. I would have personally rather seen BMW use a Rotax engine in their scooter, excellent product and proven in many other BMW bikes and other manufactures ATV's, etc.

John

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Aren't some of the Rotax engines made in mainland Chine these days?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=546960

its of no concern ... for two reasons:

(1) Loncin only manufacture 650 cc rotax designed engines from 2009 onwards. If you are looking for an F650 single, they are only manufactured up to 2007.

(2) I seriously doubt there is any difference in quality. Boeing and Airbus both have huge amounts of mechanical components manufactured in China too, but like BMW employ pretty strict quality control. In any case, much of the key componentry still comes from Rotax in Austria, and is assembled by Loncin in China.

Most BMW bikes are assembled in low cost Berlin. If quality of manufacture and assembly was the important thing, the bikes would be built in Bavaria, where the cars are made. After all you are paying for and think you are buying a Bavarian Motor Works vehicle right. But Bavarian workers (while very diligent) are very expensive ... twice as expensive as in Berlin, where workers have a reputation of being "less fastidious".

****, my BMW X-Challenge is made in Italy!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Correct, Loncin based in Chong-Qing city in mainland China manufacture the Rotax 650 single cylinder for BMW. Loncin have also started manufacturing their own 650 bike 650LX / LX650 based around the same engine, though it's not proving as popular as the CFMOTO 650's or QJiang BJ600 /BN600 /QJ600. There were displays of the above bikes at the different manufacturers booths at the recent 12th CIMA 2013) trade show held in Chongqing.

More information can be found on www.mychinamoto.com

·
Registered
426 Posts
China - BMW Motorrad cooperates with Chongqing again.

According to the notice issued by Loncin, on October 23rd, Loncin entered into a long-term supply agreement of large-displacement engines with BMW Motorrad, and the supply is expected to be 300,000 engine sets.

Loncin will manufacture and supply high-tech water-cooled motorcycle engines for BMW with the product informaton provided by BMW Motorrad, and the accumulated supply after mass production is expected to be about 300,000. Loncin will invest about RMB100 million. Loncin had entered into an agreement with BMW Motorrad to manufacture BMW 650cc single-cylinder engines in 2005 and it's the only large-displacement engine supplier of BMW based in Asia.

Experts in the industry indicate that as the output of BMW 650cc single-cylinder engines last year exceeded 10,000 units this new supply of large-displacement engines will become a growth point in the future performance of Loncin Company.

In addition, according to the performance bulletin of the first three quarters that Loncin released recently, the operating revenue of the first three quarters is RMB5.012 billion, a year-on-year increase of 7.11%; the net profit attributed to listed company shareholders is RMB417 million, a year-on-year increase of 21.95%. Loncin indicates that the main reason for the increase is because that, faced with a tough business environment, Loncin has striven to explore both domestic and international markets and constantly adjusted product structure.

Loncin’s electric and general power mechanic products business and motor tricycle business have grown larger and the product structure has been further optimised.

Source: Chinamotorworld

·
Registered
230 Posts
I traded a gs650 bmw with the rotax engine with 104000ks and it was still running very well so engine life is good ...BUT...IT DOES ALL COME DOWN TO MAINTANCE

·
Registered
630 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts