Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the right side engine case half from my '03 mate up and work with a left half from an '06? I have some damage to my left side half and if I can't get it fixed I need to know if I can just replace that half.

:confused:

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
According to the parts fiche on Babbits online the left hand crankcase for the 03-05 models is different from the one for the 06-12 models. Not sure what the difference is but if I were looking for a used one I would stick to those from 03, 04 or 05 models to be safe.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Buffalo. That's what I was afraid of. If I can't get mine fixed, it will likely become a parts bike.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Then you'll have a right-half to contribute to someone else's project!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Have you looked into getting the damaged case welded up? I have done this in the past when I knocked a hole in a case on a motorcycle. A couple of hundred to the machine shop for the welding and prep work, a lot of cussing and sweating to remove and replace the engine and the bike was back on the road.

Namaste'
Doug in KY

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Doug that makes sense, I took a piston from a 50cc Chinese scooter that was running to lean and it burnt a hole it. I had the hole TIG welded, then I ground it smooth and put it back together. The scooter is still running fine with that piston in it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
yes i agree with the welding approach which i have done on bikes and cars and aircraft components over the years. But i only done it when a second hand part was not available or was dearer than welding. I also prepared the parts myself prior to letting the welder go for it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the advice. I have taken my bike to my regular mechanic, and he says it is a little too advanced for his skills. But he has a friend who is an aeronautic engineer, and this friend is making a part that will be welded to the bike and will "fit perfectly." And because these are all friends, my cost is supposed to be minimal. They are doing it for the challenge of actually accomplishing what is needed. I hope to get the bike back within the next couple of weeks (doesn't matter since I'm in NW Indiana and can't ride right now anyway). I'll keep you posted on the success or failure.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Nice to hear that there are still folks out there who are into it for the challenge as much as for the money. Glad you found them!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Renegade1978, glad you found someone to help. Let us know how it works out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts