Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just brought home my first Bergman. While driving I noticed when you let off the gas the engine break kicks in while downshifting. Is there any way to reduce the amount of engine breaking?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a 650. Not sure if I should switch to manual instead of automatic

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Neither - just don't roll off the throttle so abruptly and use a touch of rear brake feathering. The ECVT senses your throttle position.

I prefer the aggressive engine braking for twisties riding but sometimes it can be annoying as my damaged shoulder still affects my fine throttle control but I much prefer it over the SilverWing's coasting style where you have to use the brakes all the time.

Rumour has it the 2013 is tamer in the engine braking.

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
The braking effect in auto mode is caused by the ECM downshifting the CVT as you slow. It is similar to what happens if you downshift to lower gears on a manual shift bike as you slow down.

By running in manual mode you can control it some because you can get the CVT to stay in a higher gear at lower speeds.

You can also control it by keeping just a little throttle on as you slow down in auto mode. That is what I do on mine. With practice you can get the bike to almost feel like it is freewheeling as you slow.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
On the 650, the throttle is like a rheostat rather than a traditional throttle. The transmission gears down to keep it in the proper gear for acceleration. It took me a while to adjust to it but I now like as it keeps me from using the brakes as much as I did on the 400. The gearing down is very similar to how I ride my V-Star. Maybe that is why I never have to replace the brake pads on my bikes.

My 2011 Kia Optima does it to a lesser extent and people complained about it when the car first came out. It is rarely mentioned now.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
The gearing down is very similar to how I ride my V-Star. Maybe that is why I never have to replace the brake pads on my bikes.
Exactly.
The mechanic was surprised how little brake pad wear I had at 45,000 km.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I just brought home my first Bergman. While driving I noticed when you let off the gas the engine break kicks in while downshifting. Is there any way to reduce the amount of engine breaking?
Micro feather throttle when want slow down, this take practice, you will find riding more pleasurabel when you do this.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Measured the brake disc thicknesses on my '04 with 18.5k miles and all 3 discs (original equipment) are still at original thickness. Love that engine braking!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts