Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being I haven't bought mine yet .
Is there a specific break in period for the bergmans ?

All other bikes I owned where bought new and I took fairly easy on

them. During the 1st 1000 miles .Iam not one to ever really be a hard

rider on um even after break in .

Also I plan to most likely change oil at 500 to six hundred mile.

And run dino regular oil till round the 2 mark .

Then switch to full syn. ( most likely Mobil 1 15 w 40)

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I think you've got it--take it easy, do not cruise long distances at steady speeds during break-in, do an initial oil change (and filter) at 5-600 miles, don't beat on it for 2 to 3 thousand.

Regarding using dino juice during break-in; that has been largely proven to be unnecessary however it will do not harm. Also I see no overwhelming reason to run synthetic oil unless you just want to...

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
On the 650 you also need to consider breaking in the belt on the CVT along with breaking in the engine. Personally I consider breaking in the belt to be more important than breaking in the engine to long term reliability of the bike.

Suzuki's listed procedure for that is the same as for the engine. Keep the RPM below 4,000 for the first 500 miles and below 6,000 for the next 500. No hard acceleration and vary the rpm not running at the same rpm for long periods of time.

To that I would add run in auto most of the time as this moves the belt around on the pulleys more. However occasionally switch to manual and work through the gears up to the highest ratio. This will ensure the belt seats on to the full width of the pulley face.

·
Registered
753 Posts
While it is true that modern engines do not take nearly as long to break in as they used to you still need to use some common sense. Not something that I have an overabundance of by the way! ;)

Personally, I would take it pretty easy for the first tank or two of gas, then ride it a bit harder for the next tank or two and then just ride it as you had planned to. Too long and too easy a break in is not good for them either. Need to load the rings a few times during break in. I'm no engineer but that's what they say.

But worry not about a 650 Burgman engine ever going south on you. While it could happen, it happens so rarely that no reason to spend any time dwelling on it happening to you.

Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I always figure the piston goes up and down over 1500 times in one minute alone, just how many times must it cycle before it's 'broke in'?
I warm my toys up good, and go a little easy on them the first tank of gas, that's it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all :)

I always have warmed up my bikes too air cooled and water cooled .

·
Registered
857 Posts
Was never really told by the dealership to break it in. Just rode it with good sense and haven't had any problems at all.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Thanks to all :)

I always have warmed up my bikes too air cooled and water cooled .
I don't warm up anything beyond enough so it will pull onto the road and run. I just treat them gently until they warm up some (a mile or two). 16 motorcycles or scooters and dozens of cars and trucks (and lawn tractors). It has worked for 50+ years for me and I have never had any problems. Most experts say that warming up is harmful for both wear and oil contamination.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I followed the following advice when I bought my 650 and my previous scoot.
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I know that this is very controversial but I figured that changing the oil and filter soon after the first run could not hurt. I think I changed mine at about 100km (60 miles) for the Burgman. The article says after about 20 miles.

I don't think I rode it as hard as suggested in the article but I did make sure I did not "cruise" it at a constant speed. I now have 80K kilometres (nearly 50K miles) on my Burgman with no engine issues so far.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
I followed the following advice when I bought my 650 and my previous scoot.
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I know that this is very controversial but I figured that changing the oil and filter soon after the first run could not hurt. I think I changed mine at about 100km (60 miles) for the Burgman. The article says after about 20 miles.

I don't think I rode it as hard as suggested in the article but I did make sure I did not "cruise" it at a constant speed. I now have 80K kilometres (nearly 50K miles) on my Burgman with no engine issues so far.
Now the next question will be how long the CVT belt last.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts