Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a lot of comments about the engine braking on the 400 & I'm curious about how much it really is? I had a Honda Helix (250 cc) for a number of years & it also had considerable breaking but it was something I got used to. Does the 400 have even more? :?: I wish there was a place where I could rent one for the day.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Having never riden on a Helix, I can't say if the 400 has even more, but on the 400 what happens when you realease the throttle is it slows down right away. The effect is more pronounced at slower speeds. I've gotten used to it. All it means is that you just don't roll off the throttle as early anymore.

If you do just use engine braking to slow you down, you may also want to flash the brake lights a few times just to let the drivers behind you know that you're slowing down.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Engine braking on the 400 is nonexistent, because the clutch just lets go when you let off the throttle and the revs drop. All of the braking is wind and friction. But the wind braking is much better than on any other bike I've had! ;)

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Roadstergal wrote (snipped)
Engine braking on the 400 is nonexistent, because the clutch just lets go when you let off the throttle and the revs drop.
True but only after the speed had droped to somewere around 10 mph. untill then the cluch is still ingaged and engine braking is slowing you down .

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Try a 650 once. You want engine braking? You got it. In spades.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Roadstergal wrote (snipped)
It still feels like weak engine braking compared to bikes
I missed that, your right ...compaired to bikes ."Engine braking on the 400 is nonexistent" :lol:

An interesting aside- if you turn up the idle screw to about 1800 rpm (clutch engage is about 2200+)
the scoot feels like it never will slow down. :D

·
Registered
119 Posts
Engine Braking in Manual Mode

I just started using manual mode on my 650 in order to save gas by keeping revs down. Basically, on downhills and level roads, I choose a gear that drop revs below 3K where it normally would be above that.

When you just coast to a stop in manual mode, engine braking appears to be reduced because the transmission "shifts" to lower gears at a lower rev point than in "drive." To me it feels more like coming to a stop with a manual transmission bike in a higher gear, which I prefer.

The pronounced engine braking is about the only thing I do NOT much care for about my 650. In my opinion, having to keep the throttle up and gradually lower it to come to a smooth stop wastes fuel. On the other hand, we're probably saving brake pads.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts