Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took delivery of my Type S yesterday, and noticed how the engine really drains off speed when the throttle is closed. Is this a break in thing, or just the way they are?

I'm not an engineer, but it seems hard to see how they get the mad mileage, without coasting a bit...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Downshifting

It is normal and is kinda like downshifting a manual transmission, except it is done for you. My 650 "downshifts" until I get to 10mph then starts freewheeling. Greatly improves stopping distance.

I think it is a great feature.

ZH

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Good thing you didn't buy a 650! :lol:

The 650 has a lot more engine braking than the 400s do. But the same technique would apply. Learn to roll your throttle down rather than closing it abruptly. With a little practice you'll be quite comfortable with it. In hilly terrain you would be burning your brakes up if there was no engine braking. It is there for a reason.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

I just wanted to be sure nothing was wrong. It sure saves on brakes!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Congrats on the new "S". Yeah, I've been wondering about that too with my 400. New to scooters/riding, but I expected to be able to coast a bit. In regular traffic the slowdown is cool, but on the highway I lose alot of momentum if I let up too much on the throttle. Then it feels like I've got to "climb" back up to traffic cruising speed. But, I'm still breaking the bike in and trying (sometimes unsuccessfully) to keep the rpms in a reasonable range.

·
Registered
806 Posts
don't worry so much about the RPM level so much as ensuring you vary speed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts