Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Let me run this by you folks. I've owned my 2007 Burgman 400 for about a week and have put over 500 miles on it. New oil, new filter including air filter. Every morning I crank it up let it run for 2-3 minutes and take off.

For the first 8-10 miles it boggs down when opening the throttle 3/4 to full throttle. After that 8-10 miles I guess it warms up good and it runs great. Not sure whats going on. I put a new plug in it and it still does it. Put a slightly cooler plug in today and will retry in the morning.

Any ideas? Went through a couple of tanks of fuel... running the last one on ethanol free gas. Doesn't seem like injector?. It only had 700 mile on it when I bought it. I'm riding it like I stole it :D if it were clogged somewhere it would do it all the time, or should be cleared by now.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Does this bike have a carb or is it fuel injected? What you are describing sounds like a carbed bike that hasn't had the choke applied. On a carberated bike the next thing I would look at is the idle jet. Could be plugged. If this bike is fuel injected, I don't have a clue as to what could be causing this type of behavior.

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
765 Posts
Keep running that ethanol free through it. I'd maybe try some Seafoam in the gas as well.
Do this for another 500 or so miles and see if it clears up. It NEEDS to be ridden!

I've put 1000 miles on my "new to me", seldom ridden 650 in the last two weeks. Seemed to run fine, but I believe it is running better now after 4 tank fulls. The throttle seems to have a little more snap to it.

If it don't clear after that seek professional help:)

Sirkitrider

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does this bike have a carb or is it fuel injected? What you are describing sounds like a carbed bike that hasn't had the choke applied. On a carberated bike the next thing I would look at is the idle jet. Could be plugged. If this bike is fuel injected, I don't have a clue as to what could be causing this type of behavior.

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky
Thanks Doug, I briefly mentioned in my post I didnt think it was injector. If it were carburated would be somewhat easier to troubleshoot. With fuel injection, all bets are off. Wonder if I could run fuel injector cleaner in fuel. Of course the right amount with the amount of fuel they hold?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Keep running that ethanol free through it. I'd maybe try some Seafoam in the gas as well.
Do this for another 500 or so miles and see if it clears up. It NEEDS to be ridden!

I've put 1000 miles on my "new to me", seldom ridden 650 in the last two weeks. Seemed to run fine, but I believe it is running better now after 4 tank fulls. The throttle seems to have a little more snap to it.

If it don't clear after that seek professional help:)

Sirkitrider
Sorry stupid question comin up! What does Sea Foam do? Is that some sort of fuel additive or does it have additional purposes. Guess I'll have to Google that one. :study:
Thanks

·
Registered
765 Posts
Cleans the system that is gunked up. Add and ride, then fill add and ride again.
What he said ...... Good product. Yup on the Google it will 'splain better than me. Use periodically and esp. In bikes that have been neglected. Ie; not ridden like they NEED to be and often. $7-10 a can at parts store/walmart etc

Sirkitrider

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I'll get some and give it a try. Maybe these are a little cold natured too? As I said once it warms up runs perfect. I'll report back. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Thanks Doug, I briefly mentioned in my post I didnt think it was injector. If it were carburated would be somewhat easier to troubleshoot. With fuel injection, all bets are off. Wonder if I could run fuel injector cleaner in fuel. Of course the right amount with the amount of fuel they hold?
Sorry, I missed that. Oh well. Sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes the bear eats you.

And yes, you can put injector cleaner in your fuel. Look on the bottle or can and it will tell you how much you add per gallon or 10 gallons, etc. A little arithmetic and you have the right amount. As to Sea Foam... I switched to it several years ago. A friend turned me on to it and it seems to work a little better than injector cleaner IMHO.

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
463 Posts
I think you are pushing the bike too hard while it is still cold.

This is especially true, at the first start of the day.

If your bike sits out side, everything will be even colder, upon first start up of the day.

Unless you are in Arizona during the summer, night time temps are still over 80 degrees, I would still take easy for the first few miles.

If it doesn't want to go, it is cold, don't push it, or you will be asking for trouble.

2-3 minutes in a static warm up, is not the same as under a load.

It is not long enough to start giving it 3/4-full throttle.

The engine is not warmed up enough to be pushing on it like that, it is not completely warmed up with only 2-3 minutes.

I hope it was not less than 70 degrees out.

My 650 will do the same thing, if I try and beat on it while it is still cold.

I would still do the 2-3 minutes warm up, while you put on your helmet, gloves, earplugs, whatever, then when you start to take off and ride take it easy on the poor bike till at least 2-3 miles on it.

Warming a bike up with "No load" for 2-3 minutes, is a lot different, than riding it easy, putting this light load (like taking it easy for the first couple/few miles) will warm it faster with the light load and will warm it up more thoroughly too.

Metals expand while they warm, oils expand, while they warm, during those few miles under load.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks westgl, I do think they are cold natured. I ran the sea foam through it and noticed a difference in performance. It has been sitting awhile and needs some run time. Thanks to everyone for your valued input. I am pretty hard on bikes.... just me...:p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts