Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, wasn't sure where to post this.
Looking for a cruiser, I see from the websites that alot of them are
air cooled, do they over heat when stuck in rush hour traffic?
Does liquid cooled engines last longer compared to air cooled?
What about oil cooled, is it good or bad?

·
Registered
822 Posts
philtag6000 said:
Sorry, wasn't sure where to post this.
Looking for a cruiser, I see from the websites that alot of them are
air cooled, do they over heat when stuck in rush hour traffic?
Does liquid cooled engines last longer compared to air cooled?
What about oil cooled, is it good or bad?
One of the reasons in California that bikes are allowed to travel between cars was becasue air-cooled bikes would overheat, so they had to keep on moving in order for air-cooling to work. That's my understanding of it anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
I've seen quite a few air-cooled bikes overheat and/or vapor-lock in hot weather stop & go situations. I've only rarely seen an overheating problem with water-cooled bikes when the fan doesn't work because of an electrical problem or the thermostat failed.
From everything I've read, generally, a water-cooled engine should have a longer life because it's operating temp is more stable. The air-cooled engine has a more widely variable operating temp because it depends on ambient air temps, bike speed, etc. which has an effect on the oil life and the wear on internal moving parts. I'm sure some of our gear-heads can give you better info on this subject.
I've never had any experiences with oil-cooled engines but I would guess that, if properly maintained and equipped with an oil-cooler, they would be as reliable as the water-cooled engines. :D

Don

·
Registered
728 Posts
I ride a suzuki intruder 1400 which is oil cooled , never had any problems.
Most of my bikes have been liquid cooled, never ahd any problems in standing in heat.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
My BMW is air/oil cooled and works fine in south Texas, but I think you will find that no matter what bike you buy you will be replacing it long before you have to worry about it wearing out. As far as over heating goes if you live in the south and do a lot of stop & go - or - stuck in traffic riding,
then I would try to get a liquid or at least an air/oil cooled bike 8)

·
Registered
611 Posts
Air cooled engines, air and oil cooled engines, and water cooled engines are all good - if used for what they were designed for. A water cooled engine with a fan will generally keep it's temperature best at a stop, an air cooled will do well (most will cook your legs before they overheat), with an air and oil cooled being further down the ladder because they don't normally have a fan to draw air. Incidentally - a water cooled engine that has no fan will overheat the fastest at a stop... In general - smaller cylinders also tend to stay cooler (duh - less combustion).
If you're looking at certain motorcycles - then find a forum specific to them, because air cooled engine A isn't the same as air cooled engine B. But in a cruiser I don't think a well designed air cooled engine will wear out any faster than a water cooled one.

My 2 cents... :)

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I have only had one engine overheat & sieze on me & that was an air-cooled Honda 305. After it cooled it started & ran OK. I don't know if there was any damage because that caused me to sell it soon afterward.
One obvious advantage to a water cooled engine is that you will have a temperature gage to warn you. I have seen gages to measure the oil temperature but they are not common.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Robert said:
But in a cruiser I don't think a well designed air cooled engine will wear out any faster than a water cooled one.

My 2 cents... :)
Robert, I agree and so would my buddy who put 416,000K on a Harley before the factory gave him a new one in exchange. Old one is going into thier museum in Detroit. This is a documented fact. Harley advertises it.
He's the one who used (still uses) Castrol auto oil...changed every 3K.
But I still believe in my Amsoil! :lol:

·
Registered
611 Posts
I think a Honda (CB, CL, CR, CA?) 305 from the 60's doesn't really count here. Nor does my late 70's Montesa Cota 348 (which was actually a 305), even though it ran hot enough to make the skin jump off your leg and quickly sizzle into nothing more than a greasy spot - without once overheating. Most modern air cooled (and even several very old) cruiser engines are designed to shed heat well at low or no speed. My water cooled RZ350's handled several hour endurance races without overheating - but they would overheat in traffic jams. In a cruiser I wouldn't let the cooling method weigh as heavily on my choice as look and feel of the engine. I like the Yamaha Road Star, the Harley Road King, Honda's VTX, and the new Kawasaki 2000 - (air cooled, air cooled, water cooled, partially water cooled)... The smaller displacement offerengs are nice also - but at 6'3" 235lbs I like the fit of the bigger bikes.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I agree with Randy. You will get rid of your bikr well before it wears out. My Burgman is the model of consistency, three bars always. My Bandit which is air/oil cooled never has run hot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts