Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow afternoon I'll be heading up to Minneapolis to participate in the Minnesota 1000, an endurance event put on by a group called Team Strange. The last time I entered was in 2000 when, since it was Y2K, they made it a 2000 miles in 48 hours event. Every year since then I have been unable to attend due to some other arrangement, so I'm really excited to be able to ride this year. Out of about 150 riders, as far as I know, there are only 2 Burgmen competing, mine and one belonging to a guy who I don't think is a member of this or the MinnMax Group.
After a pre rally dinner, route sheets will be given out, whereupon everyone will retreat homewards, or in my case, to a hotel, to figure out where to ride in order to score the most bonus points. On Saturday morning, after a short briefing, we'll all set off on our various ways, to return again on Sunday morning when our scoresheets will be tallied up to decide the winner. Like a very mini IBR.
I love all kinds of motorcycling, but long distance events are by far my favorite, I can't wait to go! I had to share this with you all.

Cheers,

Bob

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
You sound like you know what your doing. And you love it.
Sounds like a recipe for success :)
Have fun , and good luck.. :D

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the good wishes, Randy. I finished the rally safe and sound in 20 hours, covering 1,024 miles and collecting over 5000 bonus points (1500 of which were deducted for improper documentation in one instance!). Not enough to win any awards, but I had a blast and the Burgy handled it without missing a beat.

Cheers,

Bob

·
Registered
719 Posts
Congratulations on your fine ride. Like you, I enjoy a long trip. If you have not already done an Iron Butt Saddlesore 1000, you certainly did this weekend. Try to get one of those rides certified just for fun.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Russell. I did a Saddle Sore 1000 in August 2000 on a KLR650. When I move to CA I'll consider doing a 50CC.

Cheers,

Bob

·
Registered
719 Posts
Very good, Bob. A man after my own heart. I guess that you are riding San Diego to Jacksonville for the 50cc.

I was going to do it East to West this year but one of my buddies wanted to go to the GP race at Leguna Seca in July instead; that sounded like a plan to me.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know that San Diego to Jacksonville is the most taken route, due I suppose, to the fact that it's the shortest distance, but I believe that the I10 is one of the worst roads in the USA! I must confess that I haven't thought too seriously about it, since my upcoming move to CA is a pretty recent decision. I was also hoping to go to the GP, but so far I haven't found a buyer for my house here in MN :cry:

Cheers,

Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts