Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When that expensive thing happens, having no interest or place to do a major repair or selling off the parts
Any suggestions for whose doorstep to have the tow truck driver drop it on?

I've concluded that my best course of action is to ride my 03 650 until something expensive breaks
Dealers have no interest in a 17 year old bike as a trade

I just hate how heavy it is, how hard it is to back up
Certainly not able to dodge & weave the way a 150 that weighs 1/2 as much will
I like the lack of a hump on a little one
Smaller diameter wheels turn a tighter circle, which is a different feel than the 650, which feels more like the big heavy motorcycle it is
There is also the ever present sword of Damocles when riding something older

All that being said, having moved to a city I really appreciate how well mannered the big burg is
Content to hold whatever speed I ask
Big with a fair amount of lights/visibility
Agile enough to dodge the manhole covers & paint
Enough wind protection, to make me wonder why I have a shield on my helmet
With the topbox a decent grocery getter

·
Premium Member
3,446 Posts
Dave_J always has a place and an idea what to do with a non running Burgman.

·
Administrator
18,708 Posts
It would cost way too much after it dies to get it from Garthhh's. The way to do it is to get rid of it while its running but priced low.

Even if Garthhh gifted it (free) to me today, its 900 miles from Yosemite Valley California to here if I were to take the train/bus down and rode it back thru the wildfires between us.

·
Premium Member
8,330 Posts
there's always the option of putting it in the front yard with the underseat storage full of potting soil and a nice flower innit for the missus. I got 2 broke toilets out there now with peeeonies innem

Reactions: rlbranson

·
Premium Member
3,446 Posts
It would cost way too much after it dies to get it from Garthhh's. The way to do it is to get rid of it while its running but priced low.

Even if Garthhh gifted it (free) to me today, its 900 miles from Yosemite Valley California to here if I were to take the train/bus down and rode it back thru the wildfires between us.

That’s why they coined the phrase ....Adventure Touring.

·
Registered
42 Posts
As far as backing up goes...is it possible that the brake pads are too tight and grabbing?

I say that cause I'm disabled and can back up no problem on the bike or off. Also had a GW that I could not back up mounted and dismounted was a 2 person effort.

Also there's a very good chance with good PMCS the scooter will just keep on going.

·
Premium Member
3,446 Posts
When my bike is hard to back up it’s either cold or needs air in the tires. For the first minute mine is stiff to push but for the rest of the day it’s smooth maneuvering.

Reactions: Rusty J

·
Registered
367 Posts
I park mine at the top of the drive, rolls back down easily.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Worry about it when it gets here. When the unhappy day comes just put it on craigslist for free.... Or list it now for a low price with the caveat: "runs good now but when it breaks it will be expensive to fix". Or list it as a swap for what you want. I'm sure someone out there wants to move up.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When a bike is hard to push in either direction it's because I'm on my toes, the running boards make it wide, awkward to push dismounted too
I had a k1100lt BMW, which weighed about the same, also sucked to have to push around in either direction

You very much have to pay attention to slopes & scout drive through parking options on a larger bike, nature of the beast, infinitely better than a cage
I'm in an apartment building & have a dedicated spot which is painted yellow/grey with nice glossy paint & very slightly uphill to back in

I was riding on our 150 a couple miles from home, when it shredded the belt, I was lucky to be able to roll down hill most of the way home, I have a bumper mounted carrier, to bring to a shop
That trick won't work on the burg, nor can I find a shop that has even the slightest interest in working on it, beyond a tire or oil change

Still if I had a non working bike could I make it go away without having to pay?
Maybe pick n pull or the like
Metal scrap yard, casts a disparaging eye towards plastic, rubber, oil...

While I still have a house [05 400] in california, I'm in Reno for the foreseeable future
The big burg probably has a bunch of trouble free miles left in it, makes all the same noises It's made as long as I've been riding it,
I hear the servo run as it adjusts the pulley occasionally
The muted growl of the intake when I pin the throttle
Yesterday I heard the centerstand inform me of the need for a bit of lube, by dragging as I leaned a bit when 1st taking off

Reactions: 808

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Worry about it when it gets here. When the unhappy day comes just put it on craigslist for free.... Or list it now for a low price with the caveat: "runs good now but when it breaks it will be expensive to fix". Or list it as a swap for what you want. I'm sure someone out there wants to move up.
I'm not in a hurry for the craigslist experience quite yet, I'm not going to be able to park a broken bike on the street, it will get scooped up by the parking police, racking up an impound bill
It's still worth more to me as a running viable bike, I'm just pondering an exit strategy :D

·
Administrator
18,708 Posts
Well, Reno is only 705 miles thru the same fires on I-5. We are getting the Calf/OR fires smoke and it is real heavy here. But funnily, it smells like Snickerdoodle cookies. Vanilla with a touch of cinnamon.

What is your "Take it away" sales price. Someone may buy it 'AS IS - WERE IS'.

·
Premium Member
3,446 Posts
We are getting the Calf/OR fires smoke and it is real heavy here. But funnily, it smells like Snickerdoodle cookies. Vanilla with a touch of cinnamon.
Any news on Humboldt, California ?

·
Administrator
18,708 Posts
Not sure. Info for all fires are out there. But this fire season is not the worst in 10 years. Its just the current fires are in more populated areas this time.

10 years fires.jpg

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not sure. Info for all fires are out there. But this fire season is not the worst in 10 years. Its just the current fires are in more populated areas this time.

View attachment 91723
Wait till next spring, when every burn pile or barbecue, makes ya pucker in that special way!

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
In California,this is the worst fire year ever by area burned. Season isn't over for another month or so, either.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
so sad and heartbreaking. I cant imagine what those people are going through. with the pandemic too. just seems like the worst horror movie hollywood can think of.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Do some searches for used burgman parts or motorcycle scrap yards. Maybe you can find something near you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts