Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sad day for me today...I sold my V-Strom :( Financial and physical problems stemming from my Sept '13 accident made the selling inevitable but at least V-Stroms are so popular I had 3 guys fighting over the bike and received full price without any haggling whatsoever, maybe I should have had an auction :D At least I still have my 400 which every day makes it easier to forget the V-Strom, it rides so nice I think of it as being my magic carpet ride! Now if only I could have the power of the 650 with the weight of the 400 and extra foot pegs right under the seat so I could ride it like a dual sport...

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I was in the same situation with power, and it helped a bit to play with the cvt. Running now both the HiT and dps, and the difference given the unchanged displacement is quite noticeable. Cruising at 140 km/h indicated (around 7000 rpm) feels pretty normal, the bike can get up to 160 fast enough for overtaking slower traffic. Pick-up is prompt - no lag, delay etc. power is available immediately. Comparing with the OEM setup -- yeah, would say like day and night.

For the 400 i think it's a very competitive machine.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Sad day for me today...I sold my V-Strom :( Financial and physical problems stemming from my Sept '13 accident made the selling inevitable but at least V-Stroms are so popular I had 3 guys fighting over the bike and received full price without any haggling whatsoever, maybe I should have had an auction :D At least I still have my 400 which every day makes it easier to forget the V-Strom, it rides so nice I think of it as being my magic carpet ride! Now if only I could have the power of the 650 with the weight of the 400 and extra foot pegs right under the seat so I could ride it like a dual sport...
If you're ambitious, you could probably pick up a wrecked 400, strip off the tupperware, and put a conventional saddle and pegs on it. Confuse the h3ll out of onlookers.

Having done many highway miles with a 400, a VOG Burgman clone, and a 650...you don't want that 650 power without the weight. I get that you've got limitations, but while weight is a burden in town it's your FRIEND at highway speeds. Nothing is as spooky as riding a lightweight scoot at 80 in crosswinds.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Having done many highway miles with a 400, a VOG Burgman clone, and a 650...you don't want that 650 power without the weight. I get that you've got limitations, but while weight is a burden in town it's your FRIEND at highway speeds. Nothing is as spooky as riding a lightweight scoot at 80 in crosswinds
Needing more weight? The V-Strom 650 and 1000 both weigh less than the 400 and they are known as very stable bikes nor have I noticed any high speed highway shenanigans with the 400. I am okay with the 400's power in stop light take-offs but I hate how anemic it is once you're at speed and need to pass someone or accelerate out of trouble. When I first got back into motorcycles I rode a Hyosung 250 cruiser which weighed less than 400lbs. I rode that that poor little thing into the ground on long highway trips and it could match the 400 for power and maybe even beat it. I was even clocked at 95 mph on it and I don't remember ever having any stability problems with it.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Needing more weight? The V-Strom 650 and 1000 both weigh less than the 400 and they are known as very stable bikes nor have I noticed any high speed highway shenanigans with the 400. I am okay with the 400's power in stop light take-offs but I hate how anemic it is once you're at speed and need to pass someone or accelerate out of trouble. When I first got back into motorcycles I rode a Hyosung 250 cruiser which weighed less than 400lbs. I rode that that poor little thing into the ground on long highway trips and it could match the 400 for power and maybe even beat it. I was even clocked at 95 mph on it and I don't remember ever having any stability problems with it.
I'm not a chassis engineer; but as noted, I have had a 400 and 650. The 400 would ride at 80; I actually did a mad-dash across Michigan, west to east, at that speed in insane Friday traffic (burned out a bearing on the variator, that way too).

The 650 will do that speed ALL DAY, and I've cruised to Colorado, Washington, Idaho, Montana and the Dakotas (from Wisconsin) at those speeds. The feeling is tremendously different...more stable, more reassuring.

We all have our aims and desires. On another board, they take those little Honda Ruckus clones and jam in 250cc engines and hop them up to do 75 and more. Insanity, I say...that's like riding a stool on casters down a hill on the freeway. But it's what they want.

For my money, and IMHO, a bigger engine in the smaller chassis with those small wheels would be a loser.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Kimbo, should you happen to be in the GTA you can take my 400 for a spin. You wouldn't mention Hyosung 250 anymore -- only a liter bike, trust me :)

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I sold my V-Strom 650 two weeks ago. Best bike I have ever owned but it had to go as I developed medical problems and couldn't pull the clutch over and over any more. I loved that bike and had it tweaked out to fit me perfectly. I am lucky though as I sold it to a good friend and have visiting rights.

Doug

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm not a chassis engineer; but as noted, I have had a 400 and 650. The 400 would ride at 80; I actually did a mad-dash across Michigan, west to east, at that speed in insane Friday traffic (burned out a bearing on the variator, that way too).

The 650 will do that speed ALL DAY, and I've cruised to Colorado, Washington, Idaho, Montana and the Dakotas (from Wisconsin) at those speeds. The feeling is tremendously different...more stable, more reassuring.

We all have our aims and desires. On another board, they take those little Honda Ruckus clones and jam in 250cc engines and hop them up to do 75 and more. Insanity, I say...that's like riding a stool on casters down a hill on the freeway. But it's what they want.

For my money, and IMHO, a bigger engine in the smaller chassis with those small wheels would be a loser.
Google Ruckus with the 600cc Honda Silverwing engine mod. Insane power, rated at 120+ mph. My 919 is 427 pounds with 100hp. Wicked fast at passing and very planted on road. Weight isn't everything. Many factors at play.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts