Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my recall notice in the mail today. It says dealer will replace the muffler. It will take about an hour and the parts are available now. There will be no charge for parts or labor.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Muffler Recall/Replacement.

Today, we got a recall notice from Suzuki for our UH200A.
To do a muffler replacement due to potential cracks in the exhaust system.
Anyone else, yet ?

My local dealer gave me a runaround as expected.... have to order parts and need a down payment/deposit. What I expected from him,
Guess I will travel to the next town to a good dealer.

scoot safely,

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Muffler Recall/Replacement.

My local dealer gave me a runaround as expected.... have to order parts and need a down payment/deposit.

scoot safely,
Why is a deposit needed for a free recalled item? You're not buying anything!

·
Registered
125 Posts
The dealer said it was a security deposit to make sure that I came in to have the work done. I didn't have to make the deposit if I left the scooter with them until they ordered the parts , got them it and installed them. Sounded very much like we really don't do warranty work if we can get out of it. I plan to drop by there to see if they have the parts and get a stronger feel for what really will take place. In 30 years, I have bought almost nothing there because of their attitude. We bought the scooter 75 miles away because they were not interested in selling one to us. And so it goes. on.

Hopefully, I am all wrong and they will make us happy next Monday when we visit them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I wouldn't give them any business then, even if it was Suzuki paying. No dealer has ever asked me for anything on a recall where they ordered parts.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
WHAT??? DEPOSIT???
The dealer gets the parts for free
and gets paid to do the replacement work !!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Contacted dealer this morning. Said he will order the part and contact me when it comes in. About two weeks.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Contacted another dealer. She said I would have to leave the scooter while they ordered the parts, waited for their arrival and installed them.... about a week.
Guess the Central Arkansas dealers don't trust the owners. Actually, I fear that I am one of the VERY FEW who owns a UH200A in Central Arkansas.

Scoot Safely,

·
Registered
47 Posts
Contacted another dealer. She said I would have to leave the scooter while they ordered the parts, waited for their arrival and installed them.... about a week.
Guess the Central Arkansas dealers don't trust the owners. Actually, I fear that I am one of the VERY FEW who owns a UH200A in Central Arkansas.

Scoot Safely,
I'm starting to think i am the only one in charleston, SC area too

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dealer installed my new muffler today. Sounds and runs the same as before. Looks the same too, but cleaner.

·
Registered
45 Posts

Scoot Safely,

Bummer! That seems like really odd behavior from your dealer. I got a call from my dealer two weeks ago - said the recall part was in and I go tomorrow for the fix.

I'd checked with Suzuki USA Customer Service (CS) (direct your email to Cecil - an outstanding CS staffer, great guy to contact if you have questions) to find out what it was all about - particularly if the new muffler reduced power and/or MPG - the answer was ABSOLUTELY NO.

That business about leaving your ride for a week????? Screw that drill! It is a warranty issue and there is no rational reason for a dealer to require what you have related. I'd shoot Suzuki USA CS a note about that dealer's performance! It sure as hades wouldn't fly with me!
Ride safe.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just got back from my muffler recall service - took about 45 minutes once they got it on the lift. Of course no charges to me.

I ask the service manager about ExTex's 2nd dealer requirement - he said it sounded flat out WEIRD!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thanks for checking on my dealers' statements. Guess we will talk to the local dealer anyway next week and see how much $ deposit they want so we don't have to leave the scooter there. We are not interested in finding a dealer too far from home and as long as we get our deposit back, it will be best to have some relationship with the local dealer.

Scoot safely,

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Guess we will talk to the local dealer anyway next week and see how much $ deposit they want....
Deposit for what ?????
They get the parts for free,
& get paid to do the repair....
should be no money out of your pocket. :confused:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Agree 1000% with Duster - that deposit business is crap. I've been through recall/warranty actions with Honda, Yamaha, Piaggio and Suzuki - NEVER had any dealer require a deposit or leave my ride until the parts come in for a recall/warranty issue - its just nuts!

The email address below is Suzuki USA's customer service department. I'd direct a contact to Cecil - I've dealt with him previously - great CS guy. Something is really wacky about the way your dealers are treating you - I suspect Suzuki would be very interested to hear about your situation.
[email protected]

Regarding a relationship with a dealer: Full disclosure - I haven't had much dealer service experience. My current local one charges $85/hour - pays a ten year experienced tech under $25/hour. I don't begrudge a good dealer making a profit - but there are way less costly and convenient alternatives.

I don't use them except for break-in service on new units (its just my personal twit - I want a formal record of that service) and/or warranty work. I don't wrench myself (no talent, bad back and arthritis in my hands).

I use a trained/certified, professional mechanic (previously worked for a major Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki dealership) who works independently, makes house calls and I pay cash.

I've found it super convenient to schedule a house call for routine service stuff. Guy shows up on time, no waiting around a service dept., great service and way lower costs. He seems to be able to source OEM parts notably cheaper than dealer prices.

I pay for his time/a house call fee and receipt verified parts if he doesn't have me buy them direct. My guy takes care of all my mechanical stuff.

Ride safe.
Forgot to mention - after my recall service did a mini-check on performance and MPG for a few hours - no changes were noticeable.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts