Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read a news article about car's unintended acceleration and wonder, if my 650 exeutive scooter's accelerator is caught somehow and keeps accelerating, is turning off the ignition key a good way to stop? Would it stop nicely or very abruptly? Since there won't be ABS while the bike is off, an abrupt stop may lead to skidding and loss of control, especially when there is only one hand on the handlebar (the other hand is turning off the key).

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
That kind of situation is what the kill switch is for. Upside you don't have to release your grip on the bars to use it.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Well bikes have two cables, one to open and one to close the throttle (some newer BMW's may have gone electronic though). Bikes don't have power brakes or steering. Shutting an engine off in a car you would loose power steering but the brakes have a vacuum reservoir that can still assist 1-2 stops. People are stupid, I've seen floor mats get wadded up around the pedals. The only car I've ever seen accellerate by itself was a 86 Audi 5000 (a coworker asked me over and I saw as she had her foot on the brake the accellerator was slowly going to the floor by itself) but it wasn't sudden.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That kind of situation is what the kill switch is for. Upside you don't have to release your grip on the bars to use it.
I have not touched that switch for so long I forgot all about it. I should use it before I put down the kick stand.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Not heard of a petrol doing it in the UK but quit a few turbo Diesels have, the oil seals
go in the turbo and the engine runs on its own oil till it blows through over revving or
seizing, only way the stop them is get them in top gear if possible and stall them.

·
Registered
562 Posts
NoShift said:
SteveE said:
I have not touched that switch for so long I forgot all about it. I should use it before I put down the kick stand.
Thanks.

I usually just use the kickstand but I occasionally use the kill switch when parking the scoot because I worry if I never touch it that it might seize up or not work when I need it sort of thing.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
The Burgman isn't "drive by wire" and the throttle cables directly control the engine. It's highly unlikely, near impossible for the Burgman to uncontrollably accelerate in a wide open similar manner. The KILL switch will kill the ignition, as will the key. If you have time, put down the side stand. That's about as a likely event (putting down the stand) as the open throttle condition. Won't happen. Drive by wire means that the CPU controls the engine, and your 'mashing down on the gas pedal' (or throttle) simply tells the CPU that you want full power and the CPU then sends the commands to the engine to increase rpm. Your worry about this possible event is unfounded and unnecessary. But if you kill the engine, it will just coast to a stop unless of course, you have both brakes squeezed very tight, trying to hold back the bike, and then have it stop. You'd prob. skid or go over the bars in that event. Again, very unlikely. :thumbup:

quote="NoShift"]I just read a news article about car's unintended acceleration and wonder, if my 650 exeutive scooter's accelerator is caught somehow and keeps accelerating, is turning off the ignition key a good way to stop? Would it stop nicely or very abruptly? Since there won't be ABS while the bike is off, an abrupt stop may lead to skidding and loss of control, especially when there is only one hand on the handlebar (the other hand is turning off the key).[/quote]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts