Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since we're riding luxury scooters, has anyone considered installing a cruise control? Might come in handy for long stretches of interstate. Don't know about availablility, but perhaps an existing model could be modified to fit the Burg.

·
Registered
793 Posts
There's another post on the site that discusses CC.

I came to the conclusion during that discussion that there are large differences between a conventional bikes' CC needs and the Burgmans' that are so great that the Burgman triumphs just the way it is.

Take a Kawasaki Vulcan out on an interstate trip and note the throttle adjustments required, then the Burgman. The Burgman transmission tends to self-adjust for torque requirements unlike a 5-speed conventional. At highway speeds a major factor in speed control is torque. Take a conventional 5-speed up to 80mph and the throttle requires less adjustment. Get off of the highway and cruise on a frontage road at 40mph and the throttle adjustments become quite large averaged over time.

For the most part, unless changing speeds with throttle, it takes very little throttle movement on the Burgman AN650 to stay at the same speed.
I use one of those aftermarket grip paddles that takes the stress out of holding the throttle while making small adjustments too, at cruise speeds.

I've considered also using a throttle tensioner - the kind that has a C channel that slips into the cable fitting below the grip. If the tensioners plastic channel were made wider and a spring were attached to it and to the fitting, small increases of throttle would have greater latitude. Then, relaxing the tensioned throttle grip would allow the C channel to once again rest against the Set low side until the tensioner is disengaged (arm up).

Lately, I've met some mechanics that are against using a throttle tensioner over safety concerns that a bike would stay running during and after an accident, but the Burgman has a Tip Over switch that cuts the engine if laid down. I've been using tensioners since 1980. I glue the provided hex wrench into the tensioning adjustment head to give me the best setting in all situations.
When adjusted too tightly, a throttle tensioner takes excessive pressure do adjust throttle (wrist pain) and it can rub against grip plastic when disengaged, thus delaying time until full idle. Adjusted too loosely and it will disengage with engine vibration or small bumps.

I prefer to keep my Cruise Controls manual because I don't want to be accelerating up some hills where I can't always see. And don't forget, the majority of other vehicles don't have CC and are slowing down on the same hills. Sometimes it's best to stay in synch with traffic rather than establish computer controlled speeds that have no eyes.

In conclusion, given the special CVT attributes of a Burgman transmission, there may be no presently available off-the-shelf black box CC solutions that could otherwise make you a risk taking test pilot.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the detailed response. At times, while riding conventional motorcycles, I've felt the need for a cruise control when on the interstate. I've spent very few miles on the interstate with my recently purchased Burgman due to the weather here. As you point out, a cruise control may not be need after all. I'll decide once I put more interstate miles on the Burg. :)

·
Registered
793 Posts
riderrich,

Your welcome.

When you're doing your test riding on the highway
notice how much throttle and rev's it takes to pass another
vehicle while you're in the 'D' mode. At 70mph it takes alot of throttle
to get the wheels spinning faster to pass. Switching to Manual '5', the engine winds up to 7-8 grand but Manual Mode produces instantaneous coupling that delivers quicker passing speeds.
Passing cars while going up a steep mountain has felt more powerful to me if I switched to Manual 3-4-5 at 35-55mph. Only muscle cars and other bikes (crotch rockets) could keep up with me while climbing the Salt River Canyon road, plus the temperature didn't budge above the third bar all last summer.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting "passing" tips on using the Burg's transmission effectively. I'll give them a try though it won't likely be for awhile. I'm going gentle on the motor while still in the "break-in" phase (only 125 mi. on the odo). And of course, our lovely New England weather :( is holding me back for now. Thanks for the info.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts