Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried searching and having a hard time finding, but about how much 'extra' can we put on our electrical system?

I wired up a simple mp3 player/amp, and it seems like whenever there is an electrical draw from say, a turn signal while braking. Or worse, adjusting the electric windscreen, it effects the amp like its starving for power.

Not sure if this is a defective amp, or that there just isn't much extra juice to power it.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The generator puts out plenty of power to spare. It is listed at 500watts @ 5,000rpm. You must have a problem some where else. Either a bad mp3 or you wired it up to a circuit that was already near max.
How much output would you say is consumed by the bike itself?

As far as wiring, don't believe so, I tapped into an existing aftermarket fuse box previous owner installed (after I went over wiring make sure it was OK, which it is, plugs direct into battery).

So the amp/radio thing might be whats at fault. Also, I know I've read about it with CB Antenna's, but does the CVT induce noise into power wires too? Wondering if that is effecting it too.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
I don't have any problems with CVT noise when I play my MP3 from my GPS through my Chatterbox radio to my earphones.

Have you checked to see how much voltage you are getting at the battery with the engine running and off. You might have a weak battery, regulator or stator.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
500 Watts (35 A at 13.5 V) is hardly gobs of power¹, and that is the spec at 5k rpm. At idle it is probably 125 to 150 W (10 to 12 A) if that. If more is required it comes from the battery.

I have never tested a 650, however my '03 400 draws a constant 13.2 A (@ 12.4 V) after the fuel pump has primed and other systems have stabilised:

The turn signal lamps are 21 W each, that would be another 3.4 A each time they blinked on...

----------------------------------------------
¹ - 500 W is about 1/2 of what an average run-of-the-mill 2-slice toaster consumes...

·
Administrator
20,096 Posts
A battery stores the power made by the charging system but it also stabilizes the ripple pulse that comes from the stator. I have not added too many items to my Burgman but I do see in the headlight pattern that when the engine rev's up and the CVT is changing, the headlights cycle from dim and and bright. Adding a larger battery would help some. A better regulator (MOSFET) will also help.

But best is to put a bigger stator, better regulator and bigger battery in. Not easly done.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I added a Pyle Am/FM/CD to my 650 and it's evident the bike charging system is indeed quite limited. This stereo is designed for a car or boat with a dedicated alternator so the voltage doesn't vary so much between idle & running speeds. The CD in particular will kick out if you come to a stop while riding in the winter with full heated gear.Still love having music on the bike wouldn't be without it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts