Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I'm a new owner of a 650 and would like to know if anyone knows the electrical output. How many electrical things can I run without hurting the charging system? Like a set of widder gloves & vest, radio and extra brake light. Maybe an extra tail light too. would this be too much?
Thanks,
Lumberman

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi Lumberman,
I found this quote after doing a search of the forum using "charging system"

The 650 has a
500 watt electrical system, so it handles electrically heated
clothing just fine,

There are plenty of other references too if you want to try for yourself. This is a really great forum for this kind of information. :)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Electrical Output

Stu Oltman (former technical editor for Wing World magazine of the GWRRA) has a very good response to a similar question in the AMA American Motorcyclist May '05 magazine. While answering the question of a 99 Honda ST 1100 owner, "the alternator puts out 480 watts, that full amount isn't available until you reach 5,000 rpm." Like wise, I think the 500 watts mentioned above is the max at whatever rpm.

Having a lot of electrical accessories "ON" while at a lower rpm than when at the max out put is will put a drain on your battery - like when at idle at a stop light and such. Heated clothing should be used in conjunction with a thermostatic device.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
The 500w output of the Burgman 650 is rather generous actually. My 2003 1000cc Suzuki V-Strom only put out 360w. I used a Gerbing electric jacket liner and gloves on both machines with no problems.

How much electrical output a charging system delivers is only part of the equation though. The other parts are how much the machine uses during normal operation, and at what engine rpm max output is realized. Since the AN650 has an electronically controlled cvt transmission, and dual tail & brake lights, I am sure that it consumes a bit more electricity than the V-Strom did. In all other aspects (fuel injection, headlights, etc) the two bikes were very similar. I have never seen any reliable figures on the electrical consumption of the basic AN650.

I have a Battery Tender smart charger in my garage. It has a red light and a green light on it. If I plug in the scooter and the battery is down on charge, the red light comes on and the charger goes into charge mode. Once fully charged, the green light comes on. If the battery is fully charged when I plug in the scooter, the green light comes on right away. Every time I have returned after riding with the electrically heated clothing, the green light has come on either immediately, or within a few seconds. This tells me that the charging system is easily keeping up with the electric clothing. The only other electrical accessory that I've added are the optional brake lights on my Givi trunk.

Obviously, if you continue to add moto-lights, electric pants, radio, etc, you could reach the point where the charging system can no longer keep up - especially at lower engine rpms. But the Burgman 650 does have a healthy charging system. Better than many motorcycles.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the helpful replies. With what I'm going to hook up I don't think I'll have a problem.
Lumberman

1 - 5 of 5 Posts