Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys here is the story but short. I was changing my gas tank due to it got rotten for some reason and the fuel pump,,,after I put the new parts,,,it was late and I did not mounted all the plastic covers back,,i left the scooter outside and forgot my Pitbull was outside,,,the next morning I found the **** dog ate thru the main wiring harness and most of the connectors...So I bought a new wiring harness and spliced all the wiring....The scooter starts up perfectly with absolutely no errors and runs perfectly....

What I found so far is that both of the brake switches have constant 12 volts running thru them exept when the switch is pressed....Look guys I don't want to mess around with all of the connections I made since the scooter is running perfect. all I have are running lights and when I hit the brakes the running lights go out...\

I was wondering if I could just make another circuit for the second filament of the bulb,so that it goes on when I hit the brakes leaving both the regular running lights that are ON when the bike is running and the added second filament.

The brake switches normally are closed,so there is a constant 12 volts in the circuit until you press the brake level,,,,,,How in the world can I make this happen? Any ideas will be gladly appreciated.......

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Well, You must have wired one of the wires wrong, i had that same thing happend! when you press the breaks and Lights Go Out, that means One of the Lines are Backwards!! I no longer Use the Break Switches any more becuze of Leds if you put Higher Wattage thru the Break Relay Switches seem to fail, So i installed a Separate Break Relay which The Handle of the the Break Lever Makes Contact with Turning on some China Modules RED Rated at 5 Watts Each of 8 of them which adds up to 40 Watts, On Breaking. Ofcourse will not work with those Relays Like you said ,becuze switches have constant 12 volts running thru them exept when the switch is pressed. you have to have a relay that will Flow Power on the Press of the Switch. just wire them to the GR/BW wires in the Rear of the Scooter, And one thing if this is the case Those Allso Help Start the Engine!! I installed a Hidden Kill/Start Switch for that. Since you have Hit two Buttons, The lever Switches and the Starter Button.

·
Registered
302 Posts
It sounds like the back bulb wires are backward. Have you checked those wires where you spliced them to make sure you connected them correctly? There should be 3 wires to the tail. Black/white wire is common or negative ground. White/black is positive feed for brake light. Tan is feed for running light. Don't mix running and brake light wires up.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mel when you say feed you mean a constant 12 volts from the main on switch when you move the key correct?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
looking at car relays as an option,,,trying to figure it out somehow,,,i will post anything before making any moves guys

·
Registered
302 Posts
When I say feed, consider it as just the 'pipe'. The running light should always be hot after you turn on the key since Burgman wired the scooters so that their lights are always on, for safety. The brake light will only have electricity once the circuit is completed by way of the brake lever. If the wires are reversed then the brake light will be on all the time but since the brake light circuit is not activated until you apply the brake, it may not have the same circuit so you may get nothing when you squeeze the brake lever. Check the circuit to see if there is a relay involved with the brake. Pull the bulb in the rear of the bike and have someone put a volt meter on it with the key off. The black wire of the meter should touch the side of the bulb housing. Then turn the key and touch each of the 2 bottom 'dots' inside of the housing, one at a time. The one that has power should be the running light. Touch the other dot. It should be dead. Then squeeze the brake lever and see if you get power. Release the brake and see if you lose power. Follow the wires for those dots to make sure the white with a black stripe is your brake one, not the tan one, which should always be hot.

·
Registered
302 Posts
By the way, the white one should go to the brake switch. I haven't checked the schema to see where else it goes yet. I was an aircraft electrician and then a computer engineer, so I can read wiring. Print out the diagram and use different color hilighters to follow your wires. If you get lost look for that reference in other areas also. They should eventually all meet up. Good luck.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sounds good I will check it and get back to you all with my finds,,,,i appreciate all your time guys,,,,thanks again

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
sounds good I will check it and get back to you all with my finds,,,,i appreciate all your time guys,,,,thanks again
Try! unplugging One Wire At a Time, that you connected back together and Check for the Problem, It's not an easy thing but this will Locate the Problem.

Elliott,

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will try that now Elliott ,,,,thanks mannnnnnnnnnnnnnn ,,,thanks guys for helping a burgman rider here in Puerto Rico.
Bruno

1 - 11 of 11 Posts