Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any actual info on this ?

I installed a radio - wired direct to the battery. When I start the bike, the radio cuts out for a couple of seconds, then comes back on. Is there some type of device that diverts all the juice to the starter when the electric starter is pushed ? I don't know how that could be since I'm connected direct to the battery but I don't know what else could be happening.

Because of this condition, the radio apparently has no power for those few seconds and thus won't hold any of my settings such as stations, volume level, balance etc. Each time I start up, it reverts tot he defaults. No a terrible problem but one I'd like to fix if I can.

I've installed radios on 3 other bikes and never had this problem before. Checked the radio's manual and nothing about this there so I'm guessing it's something about the bike causing it.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I'd say your battery is acting like it's on it's last legs. If the starter is drawing all of the current it can supply, then everything else, beng a much lower draw, will basicly shut off during the "excessive" draw from the starter.

I'd suggest getting the battery load tested, & soon. I'm pretty sure that a new battery is close on the horizon for you.

BTW, even brand new batteries can act this way if they have a dead cell. Motorcycle batteries seem to be particularly vulnerable, why I can't answer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If the radio never cut out before I agree you may be needing and new battery. However my pickup does the same thing and so has several other cars I've owned.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I have had this on cars where engine start interrupts the radio but settings were/are retained.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Sounds like the starter is pulling enough power from the battery to blank our your radio settings. As others have already said, look at a new battery, and see if that doesn't solve the problem. Of find a radio that retains the station pre sets during brief power interruptions.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The same on my 04 Executive.When starting, the radio stops for 4/5 seconds.Then start with all adjusted presets.Really isn't a problem for me.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Having reviewed this & several other related threads, here & on my own Lightning site, I have come to the conclusion that battery quality being what it has been these last few years, generally suspect at best IMHO, I am going to demand a load test on any new battery I purchase from this point forward.

This will at least rule out a possible dead cell in a new battery off the shelf. This has happened to me on several occassions & although it was always made right as quickly as possible, it is an aggravation I don't need.

Internal component failures are the primary reason most batteries fail, even after a reasonable service life. In demanding a load test prior to acceptance, at least I can get a properly functioning battery on the first try.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Accessories and lights on most autos and trucks are shut off when you engage the starter. The radio has a separate wire that is constantly powered even when the ignition is off to retain the time and settings. If the radio is directly connected to the battery, and the battery is good, the draw of everything on while cranking might be too much draw to retain the radio settings.

Provided that is the case, someone with alittle electrical knowledge should be able to set you up with a small 12 volt rechargeable battery for the settings wire, and a diode to prevent back draw as the bike's battery dips during cranking. The settings and clock are a very small draw of current, a small battery will sufice.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Does the radio keep it's settings when you turn the bike off, remove the key, and then turn the ignition back on? If not - then suspect the radio or it's installation.

Was there maybe an auxilary power cable that you didn't hook up? If it was supposed to be a 2 power setup - then only the power to the memory/clock should be wired directly to the battery - and the main radio power should be on an accessory line controlled by the igintion switch. Otherwise you can leave the radio on and kill the battery (and the starter will not have full power to start which is bad for it and the battery).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts