Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to have some expert opinions. My headlights are not going one when I turn the key. I don't know how long this might have gone on although not long based upon the facts below:
- It was not on Saturday morning when I rode to the gym..usually I ride during the day and wouldn't notice.
- when I got to the gym, either when I up the bike down on the side stand or when it was on the side stand and I put fired the bike up, the lights turned off...didn't see the second but noticed it on the back of a car.
- All other lights and electricals work work.
- Both bulbs look to be good.
- When I click on the passing light, the lights turn on.
- No high or low beams.
- The fuses are good.
- Wiggling the cables to the harness from the lights and on the fuse box do not have any effect.

I am thinking a pair of pinched wires in the harness is the cause. I haven't done a continuity check to isolate if this is the situation.

My questions are:
- Could there be any other cause that I need to look at?
- Is it possible to wire in a "jumper cable" from the affected lights to the fuse box or the ignition switch?
- Could it be on the ignition switch and if so, where?

Thanks

Bob

·
Administrator
20,096 Posts
Bob, try firing it up on the center stand and not pulling a brake lever just fiddel with the starter button. Push it in, manualy pull it out. Also wobble the high/low switch some too. My guess is the STARTER BUTTON. The 05 and up have a contact that goes open while cranking to shut the lights off for more power to the starter. When you release the button the lights come on. So as long as you do not grab a brake lever you can flash your lights on and off with the starter button. Might just need some PB-Buster/WD-40/Max-Film sprayed in the switch.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Yep, the culprit is most likely the starter button. As Dave_J said a little cleaner/lubricant sprayed in the switch may fix it. If not you may need to pull the switch apart and repair it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
My 2007 had the exact same fault as described... caused by a sticking starter button. Open the switch assembly, and spray the contacts/sliders with some lubricant pushing the starter button several times or more to get the lube into where it needs to free the friction inducing contact points. Then reassemble.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Starter button, it's unanimous. My 2009 suffered the same fate.

Take it apart and clean it out. The heavy grease they use interferes with the normal operation of the switch. It also attracts dirt and can stop the windshield switch from sliding easily back to neutral. I soaked it with WD-40 to remove all the goop and then applied a light machine oil. So far, so good, two years later.

Be very careful if you decide to take the switch apart. There are little pieces that can fly into space, so open it inside a clear plastic bag. If you lose any pieces, you are probably looking at replacing the whole assembly, harness and all. Listen to experience...

Anyway, it's not an uncommon occurrence. All you need is a screwdriver and a can of WD-40.

Regards
Scott Fraser

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeppers...the forum wins again

Just sprayed with WD-40 and got it to turn on on an intermittent basis by hitting the starter button. Now if that is still the case tomorrow..then it is disassembly time.

Thanks all for the rapid and sage advice.

Bob

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Just sprayed with WD-40 and got it to turn on on an intermittent basis by hitting the starter button. Now if that is still the case tomorrow..then it is disassembly time.

Thanks all for the rapid and sage advice.

Bob
Bob..........I think that you gotta change yer name from " MRWIZARD" to............... "ASK THE BUSA WIZARDS"........Hahahahahhahahahaha..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts