Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be purchasing a new Burgman 650 within a few weeks, and I am interested in some of the electric clothing available but have concerns as to the electrical capacity of the bike. Can a person reasonably expect the scooter to power a vest, gloves, and possibly arm and leg chaps?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Absolutely. The Burgman 650 has a stronger charging system than my 1000cc V-Strom (500W vs 360W). I wear a Gerbing electric jacket liner and Gerbing electric gloves riding both machines. No issues. It should handle chaps too I think, but I find them unnecessary. A pair of long johns under your jeans - or unheated riding pants over your jeans will do the trick. Remember that your legs are out of the main windblast when you are riding a scooter.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
There are a number of Forum members who wear electric clothing - both Gerbing and Widders and I haven't heard of any problems in prior discussions. I wear a Gerbings Union Ridge jacket (77W) and their gloves(W?) and have never had a problem.
I read somewhere that the 650 has 120W available for accessories. I keep my battery hooked to a Battery Tender. When I return from a ride after using the electric gear and connect the leads, the indicator lights show that the battery is either fully charged or it brings the battery to full charge in a matter of seconds. This leads me to believe that the 650's charging system handles the load easily. However, if I had any other electrical accessories, I wouldn't use them with the clothing.
Don

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I haven't done this for a whole ton of miles yet, but even my 400 seems to be handling a Gerbing's jacket and gloves just fine. (As I recall, I have about 2/3 the "juice" of a 650.) I use a Gerbing's variable controller, which fires the heating elements via an adjustable timer. When the indicator LED on the controller comes on, the headlights dim slightly at idle. At riding RPM the machine does not even seem to notice any drain.

I may be all wet here, but I suspect that scoots probably have bigger alternators than "normal" motorcycles as a rule because they are so often used for very short trips. Or at least the smaller ones certainly are, and my guess is that this design philosophy sort of spilled over into the "super scoots". At any rate, from what I can see the scoots seem to be _better_ suited to electrical gear and add-ons than almost anything else on two wheels.

And that suits me just fine!

·
Premium Member
11,295 Posts
Hi Mad Dog

Welcome to the forum.:hello2:

What a great first question - I am following the answers with interest! :wink:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks NormanB

I'm getting lots of good info here. You guys are providing info I'd never even ask of a sales person, because I know I'm getting the truth here. Thanks for all your help. I'm in the process of locating a silver '05 650, and can barely sleep at nite thinking about it. WOO-WOO!

(woo-woo? what the hell is that?)

Mike

·
Registered
250 Posts
Excellent!

#13 refers!

:?

·
Premium Member
11,295 Posts
Re: Thanks NormanB

Mad Dog said:
snipped-I'm in the process of locating a silver '05 650, and can barely sleep at nite thinking about it. WOO-WOO!

Mike
Its a Woo Hoo - with a lisp! :wink:

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Stormsteed wrote
Mad Dog wrote:
....I'm in the process of locating a silver '05 650, and can barely sleep at nite thinking about it. WOO-WOO!

Mike

[quote:3dnrimiw]No other pug people here?
?[/quote:3dnrimiw]

woo-woo is the sound you make before ownership
-afterwards it 's replaced by a sh**-eating grinn :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts