Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to slow the the operating speed of this electric motor ? I find that it is way too fast to make incremental adjustments easily. I have tried "Search" to extract info from the Forum but could not find any.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Maybe a wire wound ceramic resistor wired in series with the motor?

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
I don't ever remember it being discussed on here which is probably why you could not find anything.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I really don't like how fast the windshield moves on the Burgman, going from fully down to fully up in half a second. I have to be quick with the switch to get it where I want it and rarely can I do it the first try. When I took delivery of the bike, the tech who was showing me the bike's features was surprised just how fast it moves and so was I. It's just one of those little Burgman quirks you have to live with. Now if someone came up with a plug and play something that was reasonably priced that would slow the windshield movement down, I know I would buy one. I'm sure there must be some electronics experts here. Here's your opportunity to make a few bucks.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I would think you could put a rheostat on it or like MJR said a wire wound ceramic resistor.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks fellas, for your input. I have a (modest) working knowledge of electrics and thought further about this. Whilst a series pot./resistor/rheostat would certainly reduce the operating speed, they have the disadvantages of being a bit inefficient and reducing the operating voltage, i.e power, to the motor. A quick "Google" revealed that the best way to go is with a Pulse Width Modulation circuit. This electrickery fires micro burst That all sounds very speccy but there are lots of ready- made available quite cheaply. Another route suggested in another forum was to use the innards of a 12v cordless drill. Being a bit of a magpie, I just happened to have one lying in the shed, so have taken that apart to see if it can be used.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Really the only differences between a PWM and resistor (both reduce voltage just in different ways) are cost and efficiency not that it matters for a motor you are using intermittently and it's not like you'll be constantly changing the speed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts