Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I hooked up the power supply chord for my electrc vest to the Relay Assy, Star, part 31800-10G00, that sits atop the battery cover, and it's a very convenient location; fused side of the chord to the positive screw, non-fused side to the negative screw.

Now I'm just a little concerned that there may be a reason not to do this. I don't know of one, but I thought I'd ask.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
That is the starter solenoid switch. Don't hook the vest up to it. Lift the battery cover and hook up the vest power cord directly to the battery terminals.

Which vest do you have? I used to have Widder, but last year I purchased the Gerbing jacket liner & gloves (my Widder stopped working after years of use).

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Paul,

I just got back inside from fixing the situation. I wanted to go the easy way and avoid that whole thing with the finicky nuts on the battery terminals. I've got the Widder System II vest and matching gloves. I've used it quite a lot and like it. I'll ride comfortably if its just a couple degrees above freezing. The carbs on my '02 ZX-6R would ice if I did not let it warm way up before taking off, so I'm very glad to have fuel injection now.

I'm taking the Burgman up to Nova Scotia, from my home in North Carolina, over the week of the 4th of July. The total route will be just under 4k miles. In the first 24 hours of the trip, I'm going to try for the Iron Butt Saddle Sore 1000. I understand that the nights will still be cold up there, so I wanted to hook up my vest. I'll give a trip report to the Forum when I return.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I haven't found the nuts on these new maintenance free batteries to be at all finicky - but I know what you are talking about from experience with the older style batteries. And the batteries in the Burgman 650 AND the V-Strom 1000 are both easy to access. Yeah!

I always carry my electric gear on a trip. I've run into cold snaps before at ridiculous times of the year. Having the heated gear makes the difference between being miserable & being comfortable - and it doesn't take up that much space to pack it.

I also have converters to change the Gerbing plug to the battery tender SAE plug type (have them for Widder too) so I can plug in my Battery Tender Jr and my electric air pump to the electric vest outlet. Handy. One cord peeking out from under the seat powers everything (and it isn't switched like the power outlet in the glovebox - and, of course, it works with the glovebox door closed...).

Good luck with that trip. It's a lot of miles. Ride safely.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wasquid said:
I'm taking the Burgman up to Nova Scotia, from my home in North Carolina, over the week of the 4th of July. The total route will be just under 4k miles. In the first 24 hours of the trip, I'm going to try for the Iron Butt Saddle Sore 1000.

It took a while for the paperwork to get processed, but my ride did get certified and posted a couple days ago at: http://ironbutt.org

The details:
Name: Russell Pearlman
Hometown: Raleigh, NC
Date: 07/02/04
Motorcycle: Suzuki Burgman 650
Mileage: 1,029

·
Registered
30,278 Posts
Congratulations Russell ... you Iron Butt!

:wav:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Paul, I'd like to hook my Batt Tender Jr also to the Gerbing plug (little round plugs as opposed to the older double pole variety) that comes from the battery, but some guy at place where I bought the heated outfits said not to do that as it was "reverse polairity" or somesuch. Since I don't know diddly about elecs I had intended to hook another set of wires to the batt just for the Batt Tender. Does any of this make sense?

Prob won't even need the charger on since I've gone whole hog and bought a Gerbing jacket,pants, socks, gloves. I gotta ride to justify spending all that money. :lol: Jacket and pants haven't come yet tho.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
ted clement said:
Paul, I'd like to hook my Batt Tender Jr also to the Gerbing plug (little round plugs as opposed to the older double pole variety) that comes from the battery, but some guy at place where I bought the heated outfits said not to do that as it was "reverse polairity" or somesuch. Since I don't know diddly about elecs I had intended to hook another set of wires to the batt just for the Batt Tender. Does any of this make sense?
Ted,

The Battery Tender Jr uses an SAE plug. Gerbing sells a converter that has the SAE two prong receptical at one end, and the male Gerbing connector at the other end. It is about 3" long. I leave one of those permanently attached to each Battery Tender cord. When I pull into my garage, I unplug my electric clothing, and plug in the Battery Tender Jr. It works fine. I've been doing this since last year - no problems. The converter plug is not shown on their web page, I had to call them to order it. I bought two (I have 2 BT Jrs). I use one on the Burgman and the other on the V-Strom.

During Winter here, snow will sometimes curtail riding for weeks - last Winter was bad - so I never know how long it might be between rides. Plus with 2 bikes, and limited riding windows, 1 bike could go quite a while before I ride it again. I just keep the bikes plugged in, and I keep Sta-Bil in the gas tanks. When the weather permits, the bikes are ready to ride. Works for me. Based on my experience, the guy you talked to gave you bad information.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts