Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my Burgman 400 now for less than a week and really enjoy it. I have noticed that when running at low speed for an extended amount of time, a small motor (pump or fan?) runs even if I shut the engine off (as long as the key is on). I am assuming it is temperature related and runs when the engine gets hot.

Any idea what it is?

Thanks!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yep, the fan.
When this happens, you should see that the temperature is quite high on the indicator, but after a few moments hearing the fan, you'll see the temperature going down (and the fan will eventually stop working).
That's what a happy burgman does.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. After I posted I forgot that it is a liquid cooled engine and that it has a radiator... Anyway, I took it to work today for the first time and now I'm looking forward to going home ... (in more ways than one :wink: )

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Interesting...

I've got 8k miles, and have never, ever heard the fan come on. Nor have I ever raised the temp more than halfway up the indicator. I always assumed that the fan was coming on at that point, but was so quiet I didn't hear it. Apparently, I've just never warmed her up enough.

So, at what point on the temp gauge should I expect the fan to kick in?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Lapine Rider,

My temperature guage never varies from around the half-way point either. The only reason why I thought it was temperature related is that I can hear it after stopping from a low-speed (< 15 mph) run on a dirt road or after a lot of stop and go driving and then long idling. Again, the temperature guage doesn't really change much. (I'll have to pay closer attention the next time)

I never heard it at a stop sign or red light in normal driving. My bike is a 2005 AN400 K5 if that helps. Maybe the thermostat is more sensitive in my bike... The fan is very quiet and I am pretty sensitive about sounds. Shutting the engine off via the kick stand or engine cut-off (and keeping the key in the on position) allows you to hear it better.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Hmm. I work in a stamping plant and am about half-deaf. From the first post I got the idea it was pretty loud. I'll experiment and see if I can't pick it out in the manner you suggested.

Thanks!

·
Registered
104 Posts
On mine, the fan starts a little above halfway on the indicator. This happens only:
-when it is hot
-when you get stuck for a long moment in traffic
You do hear it as a driver. The passenger usually does not notice it, except if you mention it. But it is much more quiet than these cages' fans, that sound like they want to take off.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Lapine - get the engine heated up and use the engine kill button while keeping the key in the on position. You'll probably hear it - but it is relatively quiet...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts