Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In raising my physical comfort level for the year-around riding I do here in Colorado, I'm looking to get a heated jacket (to wear under my Tour Master textile riding jacket) and gloves. Name brands I am coming across include Sedici, Gerbing, FirstGear, Tourmaster and Powerlet. I would like comments from those who have any of these and particularly, from those with experience with more than one as to which they prefer and why.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Even though I started off with a Widder heated vest around 20 years ago, for the last 14 years I have been using a Gerbing heated jacked that I bought at a BMW rally. The jacket has really been a blessing. Never a minutes problem with either the controller or the jacket. I have a pair of Gerbing gloves that I can plug into the jacket but if I am riding a bike with heated grips I don't bother with the heated gloves. Don't find them necessary.

If this jacket ever craps out on me I will buy me a new one with the microwire wiring but as long as the one that I got now is keeping me toasty warm it aint going nowhere.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I agree with Rustydust. I bought a Gerbing heated jacket liner several years ago and it has been great ! My one mistake was that I ordered it online and it is a bit too large . It really needs to fit a little snug to get the full heat possible. Now that they are once again being made here in the USA their prices are little higher than the import brands . Go with the Gerbing line you won't regret it .............Dan

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I started with the Gerbing T5 heated gloves then I went for the Gerbing Jacket liner.
It is important to note that the micro wiring technology used by Gerbing was developed initially with military purposes then the tech migrated to general public, why this is oportant? because microwiring will last longer than any other heated system out there.

I've used the jacket even under rain, snow and below 19F, and it works great.

My only suggestion if you go with gerbing is to get the dual controller at the first time.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Aerostitch is another quality option.
Are you sure that Aerostitich sells heated gear? It was not offered when I bought my jacket from them and I did not see anything about it when I just went to their website.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I have used now for three years the Gerbing jacket liner, pants liner, and gloves. I used the Gerbings heated insoles too but didn't like them as well. They are a one size fits all by trimming the toe area to fit the shoe. The problem I had was I have big feet so there was no trimming leaving the toe area unheated while the rest had hot spots. This year I'm using the First Gear heated socks. I like them much better as now my feet and toes have an even heat.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I use Gerbing liner and gloves. Their customer service has been good for me (custom jacket liner size, then later rewired the liner for an independent/dual controller glove circuit, and fixed a complaint about one finger in the gloves).

If I had to buy again I might consider the Aerostitich Airvantage model (http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-kanetsu-airvantage-electric-liner.html ) just for the adjustable air feature.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Are you sure that Aerostitich sells heated gear? It was not offered when I bought my jacket from them and I did not see anything about it when I just went to their website.
Aerostich resells a limited amount of Kanetsu Electrics heated gear - some jackets, vests and a bib.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I started with the Gerbing T5 heated gloves then I went for the Gerbing Jacket liner.
It is important to note that the micro wiring technology used by Gerbing was developed initially with military purposes then the tech migrated to general public, why this is oportant? because microwiring will last longer than any other heated system out there.

I've used the jacket even under rain, snow and below 19F, and it works great.

My only suggestion if you go with gerbing is to get the dual controller at the first time.
How warm are those T5s? I want to try heated gloves for snowmobiling.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Aerostitch has electrics, just checked to make sure. Look under clothing, not under jackets. They are branded as Aerostitch Kanetsu heated gear. I have had one of their vests for over 10 years. I love it. If you ever place a call to Aerostitch and get to talk to someone from the back or if you ever go to Duluth and visit, ask how the Kanetsu name came about. It is an interesting story.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
How warm are those T5s? I want to try heated gloves for snowmobiling.

I haven't tested with a thermometer but at their top it's like putting your hands near a fire, toasty warm. I will see if I can test them tonight to see some real data.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I haven't tested with a thermometer but at their top it's like putting your hands near a fire, toasty warm. I will see if I can test them tonight to see some real data.
Thank you, and remember, on a snowmobile I have very hot hand warmers, and handle bar muffs for the below zero days. Just when fueling up, looking at a map, phone call, things that I have to take my gloves off for is when my fingers get cold, so if I could turn on some electric gloves for 5-10 minutes to warm them, then I'd be in heaven. : )

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I've just measured the temp using a infrared termometer and it indicated 98F at full power using the portable battery, I didn't test them hooked to the bike. it shouldn't vary that much though.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm leaning toward the Gerbings. The Revzilla video states the T5 gloves are waterproof however, the product specifications I've seen don't make that claim. Fernando and others - any first hand comments on that?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
they are waterproof and get heavy after 3 hours under down pour . I still spray. water repeletent before i go riding with them.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
I use Gerbing too. T5's, pant liner, socks and a BMW heated vest (I'll buy the jacket liner one day). In a lot of other forums, users recommend the Warm N Safe stuff over the newer Gerbing stuff (which is what I'm happy with) but I've never used it. Another option to research a little though.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks, everyone for your input. I opted for the Gerbing jacket liner and their EX glove, rather than the T5 since I don't plan to spring for the pretty pricey 12V battery pack. I just hope I don't regret that decision due to gauntlet size. Looks like it may be on the small size for getting over my jacket sleeve unless, there is quite a bit of expansion not evident from the pictures. Also getting the dual, portable controller and a power port to install a plug-in point on the Burg.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts