Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Stumbled across this academic paper on the Suzuki e-CVT as part of a project.

Amongst the engineering waffle (I am an engineer ) there are some useful drawings and explains.

Apologies if this has been posted before.

Edit: Link which appears to be a companion study to the one linked by MJR.

I do apologise for omitting the link:

1. I was in a hurry.
2. It was late (here).
3. I was watching TV as well.
4. My nearest and dearest was wittering on about something in my starboard cranium fin.
5. Hands up those who have never sent an email without the attachment. ;-)

·
Registered
3,975 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Norman I believe that has been posted on here before, at least I remember reading it. Still it is a good read for anyone that has not seen it before.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Yes very nice Norman. :thumbup:

At overdrive ratio the efficiency drops, because of higher friction in bearings and over clamping of the belt (chapter 8).
There's the a possible reason why the CVT controller doesn't run the CVT in its highest ratio (Manual 6th) at speed but is rather somewhere in between the Manual 5th and 6th ratios.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I enjoyed reading the paper Norman. Thank you for posting it. It seems we have a lot of people here with engineering backgrounds including myself. My area was (I am retired now) electrical.

Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
735 Posts
I'm surprised that nobody mentioned the sections that discuss the stronger Continental CVT belt he proposes using instead of the original. Has anyone done the research to determine the part number and to ask if it's available? Might make an interesting experiment when someone's belt needs replacing.

That 600cc 4-cylinder must be TINY! It makes the CVT look huge!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Oh just a common joke about engineers here. Here in Italy I mean. you know, italian engineers. They forget attachments like in the rest of the world, only they eat pizza :)

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:)

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I'm surprised that nobody mentioned the sections that discuss the stronger Continental CVT belt he proposes using instead of the original. Has anyone done the research to determine the part number and to ask if it's available? Might make an interesting experiment when someone's belt needs replacing.
I'm pretty sure its been covered before and I believe the end result was that Continental never got past the prototype stage or never made for the SECVT.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
According to the numbers in this document the Bando belt is rated to handle about twice the torque the 650 engine produces so I'm not sure you would gain a whole lot by going to the Continental belt in a stock 650 application. You would go from overkill to massive overkill.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
According to the numbers in this document the Bando belt is rated to handle about twice the torque the 650 engine produces so I'm not sure you would gain a whole lot by going to the Continental belt in a stock 650 application. You would go from overkill to massive overkill.
Longevity I think they are hoping.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I do not think the design weakness is at the belt but rather the bearings, the key(s) that the pulley assembly slides upon and maybe the stopper bolt arrangement.:)

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
There are several things that could stand to be improved but barring a random bearing or other failure the belt is more likely over time/milleage to fail first though 50,000-75,000 miles for a drive belt I would say as great.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts