Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I parked my 2006 Burgman as usual in the carport. The next day I couldn't turn the steering to the right, it felt as if it were locked. Long story short: The rubber band that holds the ecu in it's slot had dry rotted. The ecu slid out and down onto the forks thus blocking any movement to the right. They call the part an O ring, I call it a rubber band.
I am thankful that this didn't happen on the road and I hope it doesn't happen to you.

Instead of replacing the rubber band I used zip ties. They should last longer.

Bill

·
Premium Member
14,235 Posts
Mine is zip tied in also. The band never did hold it very secure.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I am curious as to where you live and the history of the scooter. My K3 400 spent the first seven years/12.3k miles of it's life in Daytona Beach, garaged, and the last 1-1/2 years covered in my driveway in Saint Augustine--the various "rubber band" mountings of the ECU, starter solenoid, MAP sensor, etc, and other "rubber" components (hoses, etc.) show no signs of any deterioration, which surprised me a bit.

Sort of an interest of mine ever since I had a 1978 Fiat 124 Spider, on which the paint self destructed in less than 18 months, as it turned out because was melamine based the deal with European air pollution, rather than acrylic based to deal with "ours"...

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
ECU? Are you guys referring to the ECM?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I think I would be reporting that one to Suzuki, or the powers that be, it could kill someone.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
cliffyk said:
peelbrow said:
ECU? Are you guys referring to the ECM?
Same thing: ECM-Engine Control Module , ECU-Engine Control Unit, PCM-Powertrain Control Module depends on the manufacturer...
Suzuki calls it ECM in the manual. Whatever. You say it's held in with an rubber band?!

·
Premium Member
14,235 Posts
Technically not a rubber band. More like a rubber tie down strap similar to the one that holds the tool kit in place.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For those who asked . My 650 is a 2006 model. I live in Arkansas, a moderate climate. At the time of failure it had about 8500 miles on it. I use it primarily for in town grocery runs and commuting to work. I told my dealer about the failure and he said he would report it to Suzuki. And yes, it could have killed me under the "wrong" conditions.

Bill

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
It's certainly in a place that's a tight fit but so far with 4 650's and mileages from 23K to 54K I haven't yet had that problem but something to keep in mind.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts