Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Eco Exo R

Hi everybody

I wanted to show what can be done for the people getting over 60+.

This is a 2006 Burgman 400 with around 8700 miles on it before changing it a little bit! It is almost done but you can see the Burgman heart and shoes that went in it.

If interested shoot me a post and we can go from there.
IMG_1941 by evanbelkom, on Flickr

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have no idea to what the cost is, but wouldn't it be easier to buy a Can Am Spyder used, they go for $10,000-$12,000 used.

John

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Guy up the street from me finally (late last summer after being advertised on Craigslist for 4 months) sold his 2008 RT model for $7500, with just 2800 miles on it.

I rode it a couple times--"yuk" is all I have to say; it's a snowmobile with wheels...

·
Administrator
20,104 Posts
This kit is $4400 and comes with 95% of what is needed after you get a donor early AN400. If you want to use a newer model 400 you will need to move the mounts to match.

As to the Why, cus its his money and not yours. That question is as rude as a harley rider asking about your sissy scooter. :rolleyes: And this thing will out corner a CamAn any day and not scare the poo out of ya doing it. Basically, IF you have nothing nice to say, ......:tongue: Why bash a trike if you dont like it.

Go over and look at his build up here: http://mevowners.proboards.com/thread/3601/wisconsin-eco-build-edward-belkom?page=1

By the way, WELCOME Edward. This forum is normally not so rude. Ask any question and I bet we can find the answer for ya. Like I said in the other forum the 07 up 400 can mount a car tire on the rear wheel. DaveJ98002

·
Registered
220 Posts
Lighten up guys, every once in a wile this forum needs a little color to see if you are alive out there, I see some of you are, keep up the good work. :D

John

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
This concept is more interesting to me than a Can-Am would be.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
News to anyone that has not yet seen it; links to this kit were posted well over over a year ago.

To me it begs the question "Why?"
For same reason you pay more than $50,000.00 for this one.

You like and want something different and enjoy ride it.

Campagna T-Rex carry 2 people, much luggage and can go 160 mph, power with BMW engine.

Campagna sell 300 unit per year. Made in Montreal.

Jay Leno own one.

·
Administrator
20,104 Posts
As a first time poster, Edward gets not a welcome but questioned as to why he would build such a bike. That is all I was questioning. It was not a matter of skin thickness but how a first time poster is treated when they post a project that they are very proud of.
He did not ask what oil to use.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Welcome Edward.
I'm over 60 & I'll just keep my 2-wheels. Now if your talking see what someone over 60 can build............first rate :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
How is this vehicle classified? On a motorcycle (or trike/CanAm) one sits astride the machine and steers with a handlebar. This vehicle has a bucket seat and steering wheel. If it's classified as a car, is it street legal?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I will add my comments while I am looking at the forum, I am sure Edward will want to give you the details about his build when he reads all the comments.

I can tell you that the Eco-Exo-R that I built and put on the road has nothing to do with seats, steering wheels or automobile vs motorcycle. It is classed as a "specially built custom" . It is tagged as a motorcycle by the fact it has 3 wheels making it "A Tri-moto" also having no enclosed/covered operators compartment. Mine is street legal, insured, and meets all federal and state requirements for a kit built vehicle. In other words, I can take it anywhere, on any road in any state. When Ed is finished with his, it will be registered as a class 1 Motorcycle....in Wisconsin and he can drive it anywhere he wants as well.

They are very agile, quick, economical, and fun. They are not a substitute for a motorcycle... Scooter or any two wheeled vehicle, conversely it is not a Can Am, or summertime substitute for a snowmobile. However if you have bad knees, or cannot sit astride a, motorcycle then this is a fun alternative to two wheeled riding.

Reverse trikes are all over the place, but most are so expensive that the ordinary guy riding a used/new Scooter cannot afford one. I know I don't have pockets that deep. My Eco-Exo-R was around/less than $8,000.00. The plus about that, I know the guy that built it very well (for those slow to catch on, that would be me) and I trust his work.

Everyone knows how reliable the Burgman is... It transfers over to the reverse trike, making it as reliable as the donor it came from. It does not beg "WHY" it answers "What's Next"

Roger
Worcester, Massachusetts

Rodney Dangerfield............ I don't get no respect

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks Dave_J , Roger and others that make me feel welcome here.

I will try to answer some of the questions posted.

First is that 90% of the parts come from a 2005 Burgman 400 (not a 2006). The extra front wheel, caliper and speed sensor came from another 2005 Burgman 400.

This is why I thought it would be of interest as all the problems and solutions also will be the same for this trike.

This is not a CanAm Spyder , but more like a Burgman 400 reverse trike.

It weighs about 30-90 lbs. more depending on equipment.

You sit about 4.5" to 6.5" from the ground depending on the seat and have a quick release steering wheel, throttle petal and brake petal just like a car.

You are wrapped in a roll cage around you so much safer then the stock Burgman.

You can build it between $8,000 to $15,000 so much less than a Campagna that is upwards of $50,000.

I have side cases for traveling and Roger has a rear top case so it can be used for touring.

It has the same reliably as the stock Burgman but much easier to work on as there is no Tupperware to take off. In fact it only take less then ten seconds to remove my hood to get to most of the systems. Four allen bolts in back of the seat will remove the engine bulkhead to get to the battery, starter solenoid and have plenty of room to remove the parts needed to adjust the valves. It also has the stock air box with a K&N air filter, Leo Vince GranTurismo exhaust and Dynojet Power Commander for maybe a slight power boost in performance.

It is classified as a Class 1 motorcycle in WI.

It will drive more like a street legal go-cart but Roger has 71 miles on his and some videos to show what it feels like.

I always loved reverse trikes and had a Recumbent one I tricked out a few years ago.

When I saw this and the cost I was hooked and found a way to get the kit with the donor parts last February.

I made quite a few changes to make it a real touring machine and to make it even easier to maintain.

I am not Jay Leno with that kind of wealth so now I have a single place version that has all the features including a stereo system and GPS.

It is also pure Burgman as far as I am concerned and thought I would share what I came up with.

I had a 2002 BMW R1150RT I sold to build this so not new to motorcycling.

Hope this helps explain why I posted here.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
How is this vehicle classified? On a motorcycle (or trike/CanAm) one sits astride the machine and steers with a handlebar. This vehicle has a bucket seat and steering wheel. If it's classified as a car, is it street legal?
In Canadian province and U.S. state it license as motorcycle, almost everywhere you need motorcycle license and insurance same as motorcycle. It shame many many sport touring bike, these are beast.

These not at all like ridiculous Spider and me can say that as spider manufactured 2 hour from here and I stop me comment at that as not much good to say about spider as motorcycle except they sell very very cheap use.

http://www.campagnamotors.com/

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Nice kit and setup. Looks great.

I am getting one of these for $6,800. It is made by Elio in the USA, and should hit the market late 2014 early 2015. It is a two seater and comes with all the amenities.

It has a 50 HP engine and is supposed to get 50 mpg in town and 85 mpg on the highway. Comes in automatic or manual.

It is classified as a motorcycle.

·
Registered
182 Posts
This will be a vehicle to keep your eye on. I have watched a few interviews with the company owner. They were (are) having difficulty finding financial backing. Projected sales figures have not been promising. Also, they are having a bear of a time finding a transmission. I would be willing to buy one as well, but not one of the first on the band wagon. If they solve their problems and stick to their price, who wouldn't want one of these little vehicles.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Elio is a great trike if it goes in production as anticipated. I also wonder how long it will last and if spares will be available if not.

I wanted to bet on a sure thing so this is what I built. Even with a 2005 Burgman it only had about 8700 miles on it and it looked almost brand new.

With everyone on this forum including cliffyK as he has a wealth of information I feel at least for me this was the best choice.

I have seen too many company's fail after a couple years as sales did not pan out as expected. I sure hope that will not be your case.

I know building mine like Roger's it will be done right and have the reliability I would expect from a Burgman product.

I truly hope you will be eating the cake very soon and say I told you so:p

I hope to learn and get ideas to help maintain my build here.

And cliffyK being about 90 lbs. heavier than stock do you think the Dr Pulley slides would work best for my application? I will not have the drag to overcome as on a stock machine.

Thanks

Edward

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Buffalo

Zooming on your street legal Go-Kart minus one wheel seemed a lot of fun to me:)

Having it as reliable as a Burgman ( wait this is a Burgman) is icing on top of a cake.

Cycle Sounds Amp and 3" speakers. Check !
Ipod Nano 7th Gen with FM radio. Check !
Garmin 40LM. Check !

Luggage two 31 Liter side cases. Check !

Gas 4.7 Gallons Check !

Taking a nice trip to recharge the batteries. Check!

No Wife. Check !

What is wrong with this picture a couple times a year?

1 - 20 of 80 Posts