Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts
It is not. Bingo.
Exactly my issue, will have to do all the generator checks to see what wrong, maybe you'll get lucky and the connector under airbox is dirty like mine.

Read more about it here Stranded in a "Perfect Storm" just 20 min from...

Decided to replace regulator/rectifier, just in case :unsure:, got a good deal with some research (y)

Discussion starter · #22 ·
Well, it's getting late now, but I decided to at least look into the stator. I took off the drain bolt... and found parts of something stuck the magnetic drain plug. Looks like it was a small metal clip. A bit of shavings. Any guesses as to what it's from? Now it's getting good.
ON another note, the updated rectifier from the recall is different from the service manual.
Coin Nickel Currency Gas Money

ON another note, the updated rectifier from the recall is different from the service manual.
Yes, my manual also shows the 2007 style single body connector on rectifier, replaced by new two lead connectors on 2008+, is kind of a grey area, the replacement part really depends on was currently installed on scooter. as far as checking new style with meter :unsure:

The metal in drain magnet is :confused::unsure:

If that is the oil drain plug with magnet then what you are seeing is a chunk of Bearing cage spacing between the ball bearings.

NOT GOOD!!!

The rivets in the bearing cage are peened over and welded after they insert the balls.

Bicycle part Creative arts Bicycle drivetrain part Jewellery Auto part
Tin Gas Auto part Nickel Metal

Edited to add pictures

Discussion starter · #27 ·
And that would be the bearing on the stator side, right.... Maybe the bearing parts took out the stator, toasted that and then that in turned took out the ECM. Hey, toss in a rectifier, too. Wow.

The nature of humans is to pick the hard stuff first. I do KISS.

Throwing parts at it to fix it without per-emtive testing is not the best.

Until it is pulled down and tested you will never know. That metal chunk came from SOME bearing.
I think it was Cooperman that had Bearing Cage in his oil change on a 650.

That’s an ugly sight on your drain plug. That large chunk stands there like it’s got high iron content. Does it feel as drawn to the magnet, as say, a screwdriver tip? If it does, then it’s probably not from your oil expansion ring , as those are usually 201, or 304 stainless, which becomes only lightly drawn to magnets. All the finer pieces would more likely come from somewhere else than piston rings in my opinion looking at that photo. I agree as DaveJ guessing bearing spacer. You have to figure you have a chance of some other similar pieces stuck in your oil pump screen also 🙁

You have to figure you have a chance of some other similar pieces stuck in your oil pump screen also 🙁
Very likely, but impossible to see/check screen without splitting cases, remove oil filter and check for metal particles, maybe cut it and open up pleats, any findings "may" :unsure: indicate end of life event. :cry::sick:

• Helpful
Reactions: Dave_J
engine was rebuilt, any possibility of flushing the crank case, re filling oil and hoping it was left over from previous maintenance? (i ain't holdin my breath since it has never run right)

Piston oil ring spacer is small, about 1/16 inch tall. For a chunk to make it to the oil drain plug would require the Piston to have fractured or the cylinder wall to have chunked out. That would have been a MAJOR event and the engine would most likely grenaded.

Sorry but I am going to give my blunt opinion. I've been around engines my whole life and have seen about every failure.

That bearing cage part and all the small chips on the drain plug came off a bearing and what ever was riding in that bearing is scored way beyond repair. Your bikes engine is at END OF LIFE. If you were to split the engine apart I am betting you will find major carnage and beyond fixing.

Wash that chunk off and give us a better picture of it and all the chips on a paper towel.

Well, no hurt in taking a look, remove the generator cover, check the bearing on cover, could be the one that failed :unsure:, in any case report back, findings may help you and others.

I read engine was overhauled/repaired :unsure:, was the stator cover bearing, seal and gasket replaced, when cover was off, lots of people don't, not to say those who reuse gasket and/or apply some sealant, all poor choices, this seal and gasket affects oil pressure directly, seals main oil galley/path to crankshaft, etc o_O.

Discussion starter · #37 ·
I'm going to take the generator cover this morning and take a look. Looks more likely this whole mess is going to be sold off for parts. Need my garage back before winter hits.

Discussion starter · #38 ·
Well, I have decided there's no reason to get to the generator cover, due to all the black bits in the bottom of the oil pan. I might try to look at that someday, but not now. So, here is all I have left to say about this 2008 Suzuki Burgman 400:

1. Thank the Lord it went to crap close to home, rather than where I usually am when I ride it.
2. It did me well. For what I paid, I traveled from Chicago as far North as the North Shore of Lake Superior. Twice. As far West as Kansas City, as far East as West Virginia, and as far South as the Ozarks.
3. I still have my other scooter, a Genuine Motor works Stella. It's fun to ride.
4. Thank you for everyone here giving good ideas and insights.
5. Onto my next adventure. Peace out.

I might try to look at that someday, but not now.
Good decision, save the warm days to have fun/ do other things, while they last, it may not be worth the time or $$$ investment, maybe look at it on a boring winter day :unsure:.

If I were closer I'd buy it for the Scrap value.

I still need a complete 400 to gut the internal combustion engine and put a electric motor running the CVT. This would go in a EV Reverse Trike.

But sell the front fender to member Lawrence. He is looking for parts.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.