Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got this email, Don't think it's for real..

Dear eBay user ,

Due to circumstances beyound our control caused by the latest virus attacks combined with serious hacking attempts we regret to inform that your eBay account now contains altered datas or fraudulent activities records which may prematurely put an end to our agreement . We use this form to announce your account could be indefinitely suspended if you don't fix these recently occured problems .The easiest way to resolve these problems is the reconfirmation of your initial registration information by simply clicking the following link :

http://p2.hostingprod.com/@ebaysafe-har ... nfirm.html

If the link fails to open by simply click it , just copy it into the adress bar of your browser and press the enter key .
Per the User Agreement, Section 9, we may immediately issue a warning, temporarily suspend, indefinitely suspend or terminate your membership and refuse to provide our services to you if we believe that your actions may cause financial loss or legal liability for you, our users or us.
We may also take these actions if we are unable to verify or authenticate any information you provide to us.

Regards,

Safeharbor Department
eBay, Inc.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Randy,

It is a scam. I used to work for PayPal customer services. Periodically stuff like that would surface. If you give them the info they will likely hijack your account - and use it for another scam. It's not pretty.

One clue is that the url begins with http, a secure url should begin with https. The second thing is that neither EBay or PayPal (which is now owned by EBay) will ever ask for your password information in a communication like that.

The virus attack / server crash opening is commonly used in these scams. The actual servers at EBay & PayPal are extremely secure, and to the best of my knowledge have never been compromised.

Unfortunately, a lot of people do get sucked in by these scams before Ebay or PayPal can shut the scammer down.

·
Registered
231 Posts
It has got to where you have to really look hard and think before you buy anything on ebay. Lots of scammers.

·
Registered
164 Posts
For the most part, it's not the sellers on eBay. As long they have a good feedback report, you can be pretty safe.

However, I think scammers hunt on eBay for emails and send the "spoof" letters to the buyers.

Just remember, eBay, PayPal or any legitimate business would never ask for your password or credit info by email.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The email thing is one thing that is going on. I know first hand my mother-in-law got one and so did my sister-in-law. Well my mother-in-law did not fall for it but my sister in law did. It seesm like a real email from Ebay saying something about scammers and frauds on ebay and that they need to re-verify their own ebay info. It ask for all their info including password, id, etc. Seemed legit. However it was not and my sister-in-laws account was hijacked. Someone started selling 4 wheelers on her account that did not exist.

The other thing I have heard that goes on with ebay accounts is that there are people who look for accounts with good feedback that have been inactive for a while. These hackers then use some type program or method and try to figure out the password to the account. Most passwords are simple and very easy to crack. Once they get the password they go to town. So just because the person has a good feedback does not mean they are legit.

Bottom line ask many questions, look to see sellers history like what they have sold in the past, category where item is listed is also a give-away sometimes. Also payment method should be looked at. Scammers love Western Union. You just have to be carefull. Use common sense. If it sounds too good to be true it probably is or if the item you are bidding on is something that is not out as of yet but someone says they have it they probably don't.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts