Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I added signal buzzers to my 650 today. Picked up two RadioShack 12VDC Piezo Buzzers, part #273-059 for $3.29 ea. I was looking at installing just one, but didn't want to mess with pulling plastic, locating the wiring, and putting in diodes to prevent back draw, etc.

I popped out the front turn signals and unplugged them. Took a wire stripper and cut and pulled open the insulation on each wire inbetween the plug and the light socket to expose the wire. DO NOT CUT THE WIRE. Then I wrapped the wires from the Buzzer around the turn signal wires. Black wire on the buzzer to black wire w/white stripe on the turn signal. Red wire on buzzer to other wire (kindof an aqua).

I then soldered each connection and taped them. I wrapped the buzzers in electrical tape to make sure they didn't rattle inside the mirror, and put one layer of tape over the sound hole so they weren't so loud.

Replugged and reinstalled the turn signals into mirrors, pushing the buzzers into the mirror arms with the wiring. If the polarity is wrong (red buzzer wire to black turn signal wire) the buzzer just makes a click sound.

·
Registered
257 Posts
You sure made that easy and cost effective!
Thanks for the info.
I'm on my way to radio shak

·
Registered
38 Posts
After riding two or three bikes with self-cancelling turn signals, I've had a terrible time retraining myself to cancel the 650 signals. This is both annoying and dangerous, but this simple and inexpensive fix has solved the problem. Thanks, IronRanger!

·
Registered
611 Posts
Talk about missing the obvious... That sounds much easier that putting a single one in the fuse box...

Now how do I hook one up to let me know I left my parking lights on? :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Let me see:

1. Piezo buzzers: check
2. Soldering iron and solder: check
3. 3M electric tape: check
4. Hand tools and safety goggles: check

This is easy. :D :D :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Now this is too cool !!!! Just completed the buzzer deal on mine
and it works great. NICE idea.

Dave in central IN

·
Registered
832 Posts
Can this be accomplished on the lowly,svelte 400?You will recieve many wives and cattle if there is a way.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Buzzer

I guess I have to 'pass' to Ironranger.....I just don't know whether the
deal can be done on a 400. Hope so.

Dave In Indiana

·
Registered
112 Posts
I added a Piezo Buzzer with 2 diodes from radio shack on my 400 under the plastic piece between the handle bars & connected it to the wires coming from the directional switch. The buzzer I used was a 110 dB one which is way to loud & had to wrap it in some tape to muffle the sound. (Use a 90 dB.)There's plenty of room under the plastic for the buzzer.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I had a problem with one of the diodes the other day so I replaces the diodes with another piezo buzzer - one for each side. I used a Radio Shack buzzer part number 273-066 only because it's what I originally had in parts box & I wanted it to match the tone of the other side. It's rated for 3 to 28 volts & supposedly gives 90 dB at 12 volts. I paid something like $5 & change but they have cheaper ones. I'll have to open up the plastic pieces to let you know what color codes the wires are for each side not that it makes any difference. (wasn't paying much attention). I used an 12 v probe with a sharp point to poke through the insulation to find the correct wires coming off the directional switch without having to cut the wires. For the ground side I loosened one of the handle bar bolts & inserted a electrical connector to solder to. Use some loctite when replacing the bolt. Originally I played around trying to tape over the output hole on the buzzers with masking tape to tone the sound down a bit as it's quite loud when your stationary but removed the tape because it wasn't audible at around 50 mph. I guess I can't have it both ways but I'd rather hear it if I forget & put up with the loud beeping at a traffic light. I'll post a photo soon.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I opened the front plastic pieces to check the color code of the directional signal wires on my 400 & they are the same as on the 650 as described by IronRanger at the beginning of this thread. "Black wire on the buzzer to black wire w/white stripe on the turn signal. Red wire on buzzer to other wire (kindof an aqua)."
On the 400 I just cut open the wiring harness, soldered in the buzzer wires after identifying the signal leads, taped it all back together & just stuffed them under the center plastic covers between the handle bars. There's plenty of space for 2 buzzers & tied them down so they wouldn't rattle around. I took a few photo's but I don't know where to post them???

·
Registered
7 Posts
Turn Signal Alert

Ironranger ... Thanx for solving and sharing the Alert solution.
I"m new at this. Just got my '05 AN650 Burgy last week and I love it.
I'm going to R.S. today to get the Buzzers and hope to install later this week.
One question: How did you 'Pop out' the Turn signal assembly ???
Thanx for your Help !!!!
tennpete in Maryville

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Re: Turn Signal Alert

tennpete said:
Ironranger ... Thanx for solving and sharing the Alert solution.
I"m new at this. Just got my '05 AN650 Burgy last week and I love it.
I'm going to R.S. today to get the Buzzers and hope to install later this week.
One question: How did you 'Pop out' the Turn signal assembly ???
Thanx for your Help !!!!
tennpete in Maryville
tennpete, welcome to the forum. Glad you joined us. Congratulations on the new burgy.

Joe

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tennpete -

Under each mirror is an oval plug - pop that out with a small screw driver.

Up in the hole is a phillips screw with a spacer on it - remove that, and watch so you don't loose the spacer. Put your phillips back in the hole, and gently lever the handle towards the back of the bike, pushing the signal housing forward and out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The simplest way is one buzzer, two wires and nothing else

The absolutest simplest way is to put the piezo buzzer across the flasher unit. When the lights are not on, the buzzer grounds through the bulbs and this works very well. I have had mine like this for over a year now.

I will try and send a picture and schematic in later. A $1.49 surplus piezo buzzer is all it needs.

No need for any other fancies, and it can all go right in the fuse box. No need to open anything, or make any holes etc.

Andy

1 - 20 of 34 Posts