Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you would like a drop in replacement for your seat strut that is available at most part stores or at worst overnight and for under $15 here is what you need to do. Ask for a 1982 Buick Skylark hood strut. Fits like original and offers a very slight better lift than stock (if you turn the key it slowly lifts the seat automatically). Nothing that affects seat closure or seal. Also should be enough for a addon like beadrider. I wish the stock worked as good as this one does.

I found this after sitting at a Adavnce Auto Parts store reading their old paper parts book they brought out for me. I needed a replacement as one of my eyelets on my stock busted off. Bottom line it was $12.99 plus tax and it works better than new.

·
Registered
496 Posts
tsc3047 said:
If you would like a drop in replacement for your seat strut that is available at most part stores or at worst overnight and for under $15 here is what you need to do. Ask for a 1982 Buick Skylark hood strut. Fits like original and offers a very slight better lift than stock (if you turn the key it slowly lifts the seat automatically). Nothing that affects seat closure or seal. Also should be enough for a addon like beadrider. I wish the stock worked as good as this one does.

I found this after sitting at a Adavnce Auto Parts store reading their old paper parts book they brought out for me. I needed a replacement as one of my eyelets on my stock busted off. Bottom line it was $12.99 plus tax and it works better than new.
This should go in BKB

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
tsc3047 said:
1982 Buick Skylark.
Off to the junk yard I go this weekend!

FYI did a quick search, fits 1980-1985 Buick Skylarks

·
Registered
2,838 Posts

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I wonder if this would fit an 09? I checked the parts numbers and they're different only in the last two digits - the 08 model has 00 and the 09 model has 01.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why wouldn't it fit they didn't change the seat or the mounts. Maybe if anything they changed suppliers.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
tsc3047 said:
Why wouldn't it fit they didn't change the seat or the mounts. Maybe if anything they changed suppliers.
Just wondering since with a different part number, you never know if Suzuki monkeyed with something else to make the 08 strut be just a wee tad off.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Maybe the new 09 one is stronger? *shrug*

·
Premium Member
1,965 Posts
FYI, the spring force for the Mighty Lift E95054 from Auto Zone is WAY, WAY, WAY more than the stock lift strut. It fits perfectly, but the seat is way cocked when it's closed.

Edit: No wonder, it's 161 lbf. :shock:

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
JT said:
FYI, the spring force for the Mighty Lift E95054 from Auto Zone is WAY, WAY, WAY more than the stock lift strut. It fits perfectly, but the seat is way cocked when it's closed.

Edit: No wonder, it's 161 lbf. :shock:
JT you have it installed i was at Auto-Zone the other day but was not sure which one to Get!!

you say the Mighty Lift E95054 Model, now you said cocked when it's closed, the seat does not close all the way. or ?

Thanks..

Elliott,

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Whoa. Why would it be so strong. Mine lifts the seat but it's not cocked when it's down. Mine is the Strong arm brand.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Cocked would be better becuze when you Put the Key in your Sitting on the Seat So you can hear it unlock!!!

But the old setup I here it unlock but when i stand to Lift the Seat ,and it's still locked Despite hearing it unlock,

I like to unlock it why sitting before i get off the seat.

Some may unlock it after trey get off the seat.

But im sure the Strut have a screew to Adjust them to reduce the Pressure ,POP up of the seat..

Some of the plastic may have to be Shaved under the seat area, I seen a few of the Mighty Struts, there much bigger and Fatter then the Thin Stock Strut.

it should be able to handle the extra Backrest, My old strut is trashed Leaked out all the Hydro fluid Pressure, becuze of the weight.

It's a hassle lifting the seat with out it.. and holding it with your Arm. :?

Elliott,

·
Premium Member
1,965 Posts
The seat would close but only with a LOT of force. The left side was noticeably lifted when the seat was closed. The lift is not adjustable, and no plastic trimming was required.

Ian, what is the model number of the Strong Arm lift you got? Is it a 4421?

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep 4421. They had one in stock that was freezed up they tried putting in a vice at advance. So they overnighted me another and it was perfect. More strong than stock but perfect. Now I just gotta remember to turn the trunk unlock after I get off. If I click it while I'm sitting their it opens while I get off and scares the crap outta me when I turn around. It's nice to be able to put both bead riders on and not have the seat close on your hands. I could never find in any brand (I even found ACDelco and Monroe part numbers at one point) the lbs of lift rating. The guy at Advance said some internal number ended in 45 and he thought that usually means 45lbs of lift.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
It's Simple Adjust For that JT,

and would Move it up to Loosen The Tension.....
Elliott,

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
longer strut would mean a none-closing seat as it would bind the strut.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts