Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought this thinking I'd put it on my forearm but it works the charm strapped on to the 650 bars.
Power in on the left, headphones on the right.
If I go into a restaurant I just unstrap it or slide the iPhone out and leave the band on the bike.

Velcro strap is easy to use and holds very well.

Even at high speeds on the freeway for hours it was solid.
Now it slightly covers the left hand buttons but I just nudge to the right a bit if I'm in the twisties....if it slides down the bars there no harm and it's still easily readable for nav.

iPhone buttons are useable - the volume buttons are at the top edge and very easy to use.

Mail is readable - this was a sunny/clouds day - lots of glare.

and ports are designed around the iPhone - easy in and out and connection.

Terrific at night - effortless nav. I find those flat wire USB to iPhone connectors on the reel work the charm on the Burgman.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I like it! Where did you purchase it? I tried the suction cup holder on mine scooter, and it fell off and I lost my phone (2 1/2 years ago). This looks more secure and useable to me.
I wish my BeadRider looked as good as yours! I have the wood beads. Was thinking of getting the ceramic next time, but I'm have the nylon string starting to break up. I've restrung it with fishing line twice now. BeadRider says the nylon string is the weak spot as it breaks down with UV light. Mine is on the scooter year around and always parked outside.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
$16.50 on Amazon.

Amazon.com: Tune Belt Sport Armband for iPhone 4S and More (Fits iPhone 4 / 3GS / 3G / 2G / 1G and more): Electronics

Yeah I got the ceramic Beadrider for Australian tropics - still looks new. Plus difficult to import wooden stuff to Aus.

With the Tune Belt on I can avoid having to spend more on earphones with inline controls.

Just snagged some Ulimate Ears 500
Looping the cable over the ears makes for a comfortable fit with a good seal outside the helmet - we'll see if that carries over to helmet on. I use a very thin balaclava from Oxford that keeps Earphones in place and is easy to wash.

good review here and listening just now impressed with the bottom end when used with the Comply tips.
http://www.gadgetreview.com/2011/07/ultimate-ears-500vi-review.html

These are a bargain at $25.

Amazon.com: Logitech Ultimate Ears 500 Noise-Isolating Earphones - Dark Silver: Electronics

I also bought a pair of 600s - the performance level I'm used to and just comparing them the 500s are pretty fine and maybe fit the helmet better

Amazon.com: Logitech Ultimate Ears 600 Noise-Isolating Earphones - Dark Silver: Electronics

·
Registered
297 Posts
I bought "Motorcycle Larry" brake reservoir covers with RAM ball mounts. Installed a ball and ordered the RAM X-Grip mount, and it works great. Took a 1600+ mile trip on Route 66 recently and had ZERO problems with the phone mount. All ports are exposed and the phone is easily removed from the bike when I stop. I used my iPhone 5 earbuds with the microphone and discovered that I could make and take phone calls from my bike with my helmet on, as long as I tucked the microphone up inside my helmet.

Reactions: bearone

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats what i was going to do but with 3 bikes on two continents this was cheaper and there is some element protection

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I like kit and I like gadgets, I like GPS, I like having tunes but no way I would be checking emails on the bike.:confused:

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sitting at a stoplight?? why not.

BTW This could go on either bar and be flipped over so power comes out the other side.
Likely will switch sides when I get the urge.

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
Be aware that an iPhone gets very hot when operating and/or charging. The case may cause overheating.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Be aware that an iPhone gets very hot when operating and/or charging. The case may cause overheating.
This is another reason why the RAM X-Grip is so good. Full ventilation when charging.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I'm working on a mount for my phone that attaches to the triple-tree cover (center of the handlebars). The main attachment will be two loops of double-sided velcro strapping threaded through the gap between the front and back halves of the cover, and under/around the back edge of the cover.

I may even go with a 7-8" tablet in that location, using my phone as a wifi hotspot (a Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 is probably the largest such device that will fit in that space, and I have a couple of mostly-obsolete tablets in that size range on hand).

I'm still trying to sort out the CoPilot Live navigation app, but it seems to have potential. Not only does it store its maps on the device and compute routes natively (rather than requiring an internet connection to get directions), it enables plotting and saving custom routes. For bonus points, buying the app for one Android device allows you to have it on several (if they share the same Google ID). This means you can plot the route on a 10" tablet where it's easy to see what you're doing, then copy it over to your phone for later use. I've heard reports of people being able to use the RouteConverter program to turn Google Maps' KML files into CoPilotLive TRP files, but it failed when I tried (might have been a Java issue though).

Once I get it sorted out, I'll likely put up a how-to/protips post on the subject.

Oh, and when I get around to finishing the phone mount, I'll post that as well.

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
Just be sure to use a tether. A smartphone replacement can be quite expensive. For an iPhone just Google "iphone wrist strap." Lots of choices. Wrist straps are probably available for many smartphones.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Real world worked fine on the in progress trip to Lake Placid

iPhone rig worked fine

Even the Live Traffic screen was useful today..

TomTom also does not need a data connection and the Winding Roads feature is worth the price of admission.

Good day - 440 km leaving at 1.30 pm.

Might head back west tho. :(

Kids touring set up is clean

Burgman was heavy with gear

A fine time given slab and dodging the rain behind us - it was HOT! and muggy- better roads tomorrow

·
Registered
511 Posts
>>I bought "Motorcycle Larry" brake reservoir covers with RAM ball mounts. Installed a ball and ordered the RAM X-Grip mount, and it works great.<<

I ended up with the same set-up, and it works pretty slick indeed!

·
Registered
661 Posts
Heck, I just get lost! :D It leads to some interesting food sometimes - lol!
I've got a tank bag for my ST and it has a pocket on top for such things. The Burgman hasn't taken any really long trips.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Macdot,

I cannot see your illustrations.
Instead I get a message, please update your account to enable 3rd party hosting.

I have used my photos saved on photobucket in ways similar to the above.
Photoshop decided to steal hundreds of photos and charge me to
allow them to be displayed on a different website.
You now have to pay for 3rd party hosting.

I am not even allowed to move my images to another location.

So far, I haven't found a way to contact Photobucket to express
my displeasure. --Steve

·
Registered
140 Posts
anyone using bluetooth in the helmet? i've got the ram mount for gps, the bluetooth for listening to tunes and gps directions and touch of button, answer 'wanted' calls with speaker in helmet. did have an experience once with phone in a 'charger case' set up on the Ram mount, the case was being held securely, but the phone, giggled by bumps, pops out of the case, i 'lose my music', wonder what's up and realize the case is there but not the phone!!, pull over safely and quickly, dismount, walk back and see my phone IN THE ROAD!, able to retrieve it without any damage...now, only phone in the Ram mount, not in the charger case

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
anyone using bluetooth in the helmet?...
I have a Nolan N104 Absolute helmet with Bluetooth (Nolan N-com B5-L)
Pairs easily and works as an intercom with other universal intercom helmets over a good distance.
Battery lasts a long time.
I have the “L” version which includes a stop-light on the back of the helmet.

It has an iPhone app so that you can access settings easily on the move - right down to the sensitivit6 of the stop-light :smile

Helmet and electrics are an integral system so it very neatly disappears into the helmet but the helmet is an oval fit so no good if you have a round head.

Edit: the intercom has a really good range compared to others, I think due to it hav8ng a large aerial that sits along the base of the helmet (may explain why my brain is fried too)

Battery is pretty big compared to cheapo sets (it slots into the helmet) so it adds to helmet weight slightly but lasts multiple rides.

·
Registered
140 Posts
i've actually got SENA10S attached to my Arai Signet Tactical, not a built in, SENA has bluetooth helmets, they look pricey, i'm happy with the set up i have. charge lasts long time, have had no issues thus far

·
Registered
91 Posts
i've actually got SENA10S attached to my Arai Signet Tactical, not a built in, SENA has bluetooth helmets, they look pricey, i'm happy with the set up i have. charge lasts long time, have had no issues thus far
I too use the Sena 10s with my Shoei Platinum RJ 3/4 helmet. I use either my Samsung 7 cellphone with Pandora or a cheap mp3 player I bought on ebay for my tunes. Batteries last for hours.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have the Sena 20s and purchased an extra base so I can easily bounce between my full-face modular helmet and my half-helmet. I don't care for the sound quality of the helmet speakers so I bought a couple of sets of Plugfones that I installed into the helmets which gives me excellent sound and wind noise reduction at the same time. I paired the Sena with my Android which has music stored for when I'm out of range of the stored radio stations in my Sena. I also use a free app called Here We Go for gps that works offline so I don't burn my data. You have to download the maps to your phone which is fine with me as I have a limited data plan. I find it is as accurate as most gps's though it doesn't call street names but whudahey, it's free!

I use a Ram mount X-grip to hold my smart phone that I got from Motorcycle Larry at a reasonable price and have been happy with it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts