Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that this might seem like a silly question, but since I've never removed any of this stuff from my 2011 650, is there a simple summary of what steps I need to take to install a BrakeAway unit, and a G2 throttle tamer?

I just want to know what the entire job will consist of...removing the OEM grip and sleeve, and installing the G2 tamer and BrakeAway, and any special helps that might make this project smooth and easy.

I was looking into the "How To" section, and maybe I wasn't looking in the right place, but I just couldn't seem to find this combination addition to the "Ivory Queen".

I just don't want to get the throttle disconnected so that I can't ride it the 15 miles over to my friend (that could probably do the job in his sleep), but I don't want to bother him because he has a lot of stuff on his plate right now.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I installed the G2 tamer on my '09 650 yesterday. You'll need to loosen the cable adjusters next to the throttle in order to get as much slack as possible in the cable. That makes it easy to pop the cable ends out of the stock tube, and back into the tamer.

When you re-assemble the switch housing, look at the handle bar, and you'll see a small hole. A tab on the top housing fits into that.

·
Premium Member
14,279 Posts
As for the Brakeaway, you will not have to remove anything on the bike to install it.
It just attaches around the throttle grip at the inside edge.

What I don't know is how installing the throttle tamer and the Brakeaway at the same time will impact installing the Brakeaway. I have no experience with the throttle tamer. I see that it installs in place of the throttle grip and since the Brakeaway installs around the grip that could cause issues.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Buffalo, the throttle tamer is a throttle tube. It's just like the stocker, but has a cam shape on the cable guides that slows the initial pull of the cable. The stock grips, or any other, fit right over it. So the Breakaway should work the same as on the stock grips.

·
Premium Member
14,279 Posts
Sounds reasonable to me but until I've heard of someone actually doing it I'll always put a caveat.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for your replies. And Buffalo, if everything goes together well, I guess I'll be the first to comment on the G2 and BrakeAway install together.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Skooterkal how did your install go? Have you had the chance to test ride the bike with the new install? Any reports?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Sorry for the late reply, but the installation worked out perfectly...the G2 has slowed the initial throttle response, and fitting the BrakeAway over the grip was no problem, except for remounting (with grip glue) the grip too far forward so that there is a larger gap than I want between the bar end weight and the grip.

The test rides have gone well...the throttle tamer is making initial acceleration much less sensitive to throttle input. And the BrakeAway is functioning as it should (giving my right hand a rest from "gripping" to keep the throttle open during even short rides), releasing quickly either with a touch of the brake lever or touching the release "button" on the BrakeAway itself.

While the G2 does slow down initial throttle response, I find that it doesn't do anything for the "engine braking" effect of the engine/transmission while decreasing speed during stops or in stop and go traffic. The above posters who mentioned that the pre-2013 650's require a degree of finesse to control the slowing of the 650 were correct. The G2 does however make that control much easier, because application of small amounts of throttle doesn't result in "jack-rabbit" acceleration while trying to maintain slower speeds.

While the installation was basically straightforward, I relied on the help of a friend to do the install, and I "tweaked" the BrakeAway hardware to permit instant and complete release of the throttle when de-activated.

Now if I can find a decent back support for my 5'7" height, I think I can continue riding much more easily (and with less pain).

When people ask why I still ride, I find it hard to describe the sensations of riding...putting me in a closer relationship to the environment...the wind, changing temperatures, and maybe most importantly, how much better I feel after even a short trip.

Thanks again for your input and help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts