Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 500 miles on the 650 in two weeks, so I came home and changed the engine oil.

But I got to thinking'

You buy a new car these days, (which I seem to do a lot of. I have an understanding wife), the first oil change is at the normal interval. Generally, 7500-10000 miles. You don't change the transmission, rear diff, etc.

Why do bike manufacturers want this done? I certainly don't have a problem changing the engine oil very early, but the transmission, (two gears, really?) and the final drive?

I just came out of a BMW scooter that required the first final drive change at 15000 miles. Hypoid oil living in the clean environment.

I'll probably change the other two a few days simply out of guilt, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me...

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Do not see what big deal it is to service when engine breaking in.

Would never go past 600-800 mile with new bike while it breaking in, take a look at magnets when you change oil.. After would never ever go past 5000-6000 mile on engine. Use Amsoil Long Life 75W-90 gear oil and change it once a year, however according to Amsoil can stay there for the life of the bike.

Can change transmission oil at ever y 2 oil change if you prefer, once started it not take much xtra time and money to change transmission oil also. It cost little in material and time only when DIY.

Also BMW is belt drive only, 650 Burgie has no belt in final drive, but have 5 gear + 5 bearing, good clean oil is important.

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Follow the manuel, they know what their doing.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I change all oils & filter every time because I lazy to look under the set and check before I start. That being said I grew up with a father who's mantra was oil is cheap cars are expensive.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
The main issue with oil in bikes from new, is the oil has a harder time when compared to cars. Bike oil gets mashed around at higher revs with higher stresses than in a car. Typically, for european cars, their engines rev at just one third of the engine revs of a medium sized bike during normal use. In addition, bike engines tend to run that bit hotter. Car engines mostly all use 'plain bearings' which do not mash the oil. Bikes tend to use a variety of bearing types, the burg 400 for example ball roller and needle roller bearings which are harder on the oil. Cylinder bores are also often coated in a friction reducing mineral which also finds it's way into the oil and needs to come out quickly to avoid excessive wear on engine components. This happens because unlike many cars the engines in bikes are 'wet sump' which spreads engine debris around inside the engine very easily compared to many cars. So all this leads to the need for an early oil change on bikes to get rid of the rubbish and replenish with fresh oil.

In europe, many of our cars go 18 months to two years without an engine oil change. My own car goes 30,000 miles easily with no oil change, or every two years which ever is the sooner. You just need to use long life fully synthetic oil of the 5-30 variety. This has absolutely no effect on engine longevity whatsoever. My last car covered 210,000 miles with oil changes at approximately every 28,000 miles before I sold it and it was running perfectly. Neither that engine or my current car uses any oil at all. I live in an ambient temp country. But it's pretty much the same for our cousins who live in hotter parts of europe. I do wonder why our you guys have to change your oils so frequently, even in hotter parts of the country. Smacks of too many oil company interests in selling products.

·
Registered
493 Posts
10 000 miles between the oil change interval on a car who does only see city traffic is too much.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Indeed! The one caveat is that the vehicle, car or bike, must be used predominantly on journeys that allow the oil to fully warm up to full operating temperature. On a Burgman 400 it takes about 6.5 miles at my usual pace but the engine coolant gauge is showing the coolant is fully warmed up after 3 miles in the summer and 4.5 miles in the winter. This will vary from person to person, bike to bike due to speeds, road and traffic conditions, and ambient temps. On my car the engine is set to variable servicing. This means the engine monitors it's own oil condition and tells me when it needs changing. If I predominantly drive only very short or city trips, the oil change warning on the computer comes on early. It can be as low as 8k miles. That would however be a considerable exception. But with the sort of high mileage driving I do it tends to be around the 28-29k miles area but has gone to 30k on one or two occasions. Generally here is 'urop' we don't have this obsession with constantly changing the engine oil and our dealers and oil companies over here discourage it. It has absolutely no effect on engine longevity either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts