Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't run across any posts that talk about this so maybe it is common knowledge that I'm not aware of. Can you use wireless ear buds (ex Bose Soundsport Free, etc) or even wired earbuds to listen to music while riding. I haven't bought a scoot yet and was wondering if wind noise will be too loud to use them. It seems that everyone seems to be using an intercom system of some sort. Thanks in advance for your help.

· Super Moderator
4,526 Posts
Bulky earbuds can transmit noise from the helmet into your ear by being in contact with both.
Maybe the wireless buds have improved in size/shape - it’s a long time since I tried them.

I use earplugs and helmet speakers for comms and GPS ( rather than music).

· Administrator
18,251 Posts
Dan, I used small wired ear bud under my full modular helmet for years. The good fitting ones do dual duty.

First they knock the outside noise down about 20 dB so the wind noise and traffic tire noise is a lot less.

Second they inject the music/talk inside so you do NOT need to crank up the volume to drown out the road noises. I ran mine off an Audiovox HD radio and had no static. But even with Pink Floyd in my ears I can still hear the traffic enough.

I wish my SENA Intercom set had HD but it does not.

· Super Moderator
4,526 Posts
To be clear, I only had trouble with bulky wireless buds, not the wired ones.
I used wired Senneiser ruggedised buds for years with no problem until getting Bluetooth built into my last two helmets

· Registered
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
2,925 Posts
@Photodan
There actually is one or two threads about ear buds or ear plugs. Wind noise is really no different than on any other well made bike with a good aerodynamic fairing. To compare with my former Gold Wing, ST1100, CTX1300 I'd say there really is no significant difference. Now that also depends on how you set up the scoot for yourself. If the windshield works for you as is (mine does but not for other riders) and the environment you ride in and how tall you are (is your head in the breeze more than the average or not). But even those factors are really the same on almost any well made touring bike.

So if you are using something now on the bike you ride you can expect to continue to use the same. Or take the opportunity to upgrade to better :)
If you are just now considering entering into the world of 2 wheels then you have nothing to compare personally but to know as what I stated above.

-

· Premium Member
9,802 Posts
I use a cheapo mp4 player and cheapo earbuds, as I have said before I am so deaf I cannot hear myself fart although swmbo says everyone in church can, I can still hear the music, as to legality in my county and state Ima plead a fifth or a pint at least.

for those unaware, the fifth amendment to our constitution guarantees us the right to avoid self incrimination basically

· Registered
583 Posts
My Nolan helmet has the room for the Nolan Bluetooth intercom (more than 200€). I bought on Amazon a chinese bluetooth helmet stereo headset for 16€ (just search for it, it's plenty) and put it on the earpiece spaces.
It worth almost nothing to make/answer a call, but the "headphone" functions (music, navigator instructions, messages read-aloud) it is great.

I have to say that, while i can't drive a car without my music pumping out, i don't like to listen to it while on a bike... i want to hear what happens around and under me :)

· Administrator
18,251 Posts
I use a cheapo mp4 player and cheapo earbuds, as I have said before I am so deaf I cannot hear myself fart although swmbo says everyone in church can, I can still hear the music, as to legality in my county and state Ima plead a fifth or a pint at least.

for those unaware, the fifth amendment to our constitution guarantees us the right to avoid self incrimination basically
Whereas several fifths pretty much guarantees self incrimination

· Registered
1,005 Posts
I've been using these this past season and am surprisingly pleased with them:

Plugfones Earplug/Earbud Hybrid

Inexpensive, good noise reduction, and decent sound for riding. I also have little trouble inserting them snugly.

Some of reviews indicate that they're fragile, but I've been careful with them and have had no problems during many hours of usage. When they wear out or break, I'll just get another set.

· Registered
4,878 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/Headphones-M...c+earbuds+125&qid=1565226198&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Ive used these for years and although cheap, they sound amazingly good and are surprisingly robust. They cut down on wind noise and put the sound directly in your ear. The small size ensures they won’t interfere with your helmet fit.

There is a less expensive option without the microphone/ button and a Bluetooth model as well. The problem is controlling the music (fwd, rwd, etc). Good intercom systems will have a stereo jack with which to plug them into. There are also mp3 controllers that can be plugged in to the unit and a remote strapped to the handle bar. Up to you.

Good luck. I hope you find your solution.

· Registered
583 Posts

· Registered
404 Posts
I use Etymotics Research wired earbuds in one helmet and have a CardoScala Rider on the other. The CardoScala is Blutooth. Both work well. With the CardoScala I use foam ear plugs to muffle wind and road noise and just turn up the volume on the CardoScala. I also have the option of using earbuds with the CardoScala, but I found it unnecessary.

· Premium Member
9,802 Posts
I've been using these this past season and am surprisingly pleased with them:

Plugfones Earplug/Earbud Hybrid

Inexpensive, good noise reduction, and decent sound for riding. I also have little trouble inserting them snugly.

Some of reviews indicate that they're fragile, but I've been careful with them and have had no problems during many hours of usage. When they wear out or break, I'll just get another set.
ordered today, they shipped today, so I will post more when I've ridden with them once

Reactions: dogboy

· Administrator
18,251 Posts
One thing about wired cords. In some states or country's it may be unlawful to use headphones while driving. Is it enforced 100%? Most likely not.

But if the LEO is looking for a reason to do a 'Stop and Pop' and sees a cord running up to your helmet it gives them a reason to stop ya...

In Washington state it is unlawful but the two times I have been pulled over, the LEO did not say anything when I removed my helmet and pulled the ear buds out of my ears.

· Registered
107 Posts
Hearing loss caused by loud earphones is endemic. If you use them while riding, set a comfortable level on the highway and then stop and turn off the bike. If you feel that you'd like to reduce the volume, you're exposing yourself to hearing damage while riding. The least risk comes with earbuds that have a substantial Noise Reduction Rating because they block the ear canal.

· Registered
1,005 Posts
Hearing loss caused by loud earphones is endemic. If you use them while riding, set a comfortable level on the highway and then stop and turn off the bike. If you feel that you'd like to reduce the volume, you're exposing yourself to hearing damage while riding. The least risk comes with earbuds that have a substantial Noise Reduction Rating because they block the ear canal.

That is precisely why I like the combo earplug/earbud units. If the noise reduction is effective, then I don't need to keep the volume up very high on the sound. I do exactly what you're suggesting. The only time I'll turn it up a little higher is if I'm listening to a Podcast or an audio book and I need to hear the words, because the sound of talking doesn't produce the same torrent of sound as music, nor does it contain any significant bass, which can be particularly damaging over time.

· Premium Member
9,802 Posts
well apparently they were delivered today, they would be in my mail box if so. However the rain when not interrupted by thunder, sounds like a cow pissing on a flat rock.
I am not afraid of a little noise, having grown up in the thunderstorm capital of the United States,but I have already had my bath this month. Rain usually doesn't contain soap, but no sense in taking chances!

· Registered
177 Posts
Wired Options

Bell Vortex helmets have earphone pockets, I use These

I sometimes wear a Bell Moto4 & use, which also work in the hot tub at the hotel after a long day :D

· Administrator
18,251 Posts
Garthhh, I bet the other guests wonder why your wearing that Bell Moto4 in the hot tub. :wink

I have a set of the Koss KSC75's that I have plans on replacing my SENA's factory speakers with. While I have not tried them inside a helmet, I have used them watching Amazon Prime Videos. Out of all my small headphones these are about the best.

Out of the box they were a bit tinny at first, I did the 'Kramer Mod' without drilling the center hole, I drilled the 4 middle and 4 outer and it enhanced the mid and low ranges a lot.

There are two other mods that some do.

One is to add a foam ring around the black plastic defuser before putting the foam pads back on. I tried that but it pushed on the tops of my ears too much so I cut the ring down so only the bottom is thicker and that worked better.

Second is called the 'Quarter Mod' and this is suspost to enhance the treble. You cut the foam pads center out in about the size of a quarter. But like I said above, I had too much treble so I did not do this mod.

I have a few larger headphones to include a set of Koss 'Quadrafonic' 4 channel from my Quad days of the 1970's. Rick Wakeman's 'The 6 Wifes of King Henry the 8th' in Quad is..... I have about 25 Quad records.

Reactions: mikeyMarine
1 - 20 of 35 Posts