Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
E531's a GIvi mounting plate for their top boxes.

I used Givi universal E251 plate on mine, so all my hardware was custom selected by me. I think you will be fine going outside of the kit and getting longer length bolts. Try to get plated bolts or stainless steel bolts so they won't rust.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I would think the spacers have to go through the plastic cover and mate to the metal frame underneath. That's the only way to ensure maximum strength and rigidity. But I'm not 100% sure since I've never mounted this version Givi before. But that's how I'd have done it, and in doing so, I think your bolt length issue would have been resolved w/o needing longer bolts.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I used a step drill bit (harbor freight, sears, graingers, amazon, etc.._) to open up the holes through the plastic.

·
Registered
66 Posts
We used a regular it to make the hole larger with a few tries. Givi instructions and drawings are hard to understand but after it mounts you see they are correct. I will bet you that the bolts that came with it are correct. Maybe find someone who has mounted one before you do something you cant undo. Or look at another Burgman 4 with a Givi mounted.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I figured out the problem. I drilled holes big enough for the bolts and left the spacers sitting on top of the plastic. I was never happy with this because I felt that it left too much weight/force on the plastic tail piece.:confused:

The solution to this and the proper way to install the rack is to drill the 4 holes large enough for the spacers to pass through the plastic and contact with the frame.;)

I was confused by the GIVI instructions but have figured it out. I will correct it on Thursday when my larger step bit arrives from Amazon.:D

·
Registered
25 Posts
From my experience installing the E531 I would suggest that it will go much smoother if you get someone to lend an extra hand when mounting the plastic monokey part to the metal mounting plate. some of the bolts are hard to tighten with only two hands because you have to slide in and hold up the washers and nut, then grab the nut with pliers and go up to the top with an allen wrench to tighten it all up. easier done when one person can focus on making sure the stuff underneath stays together.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just completed installation of an E531 mount on our K8 400 and yes there was a bit of confusion at first. However, all that is required is to enlarge the 4 holes in the bike's plastic cover to accommodate the 4 steel spacers and you are good to go. It mounts solid to the bike's frame with no stress on the plastic at all.

For what it's worth, I used a step drill up to 1/2" and then had to Dremel sand the rest of the way. I wasn't about to drop $50 for a step drill to complete the job. I used a circle template with the inside diameter at 11/16" outlined with a fine tip Sharpie marker. Snuck up on the diameter with no problem. Even if the holes aren't absolutely perfect don't worry because the large foam rings with the E531 kit will cover the plastic snug with the spacers.

Givi's instructions leave a bit to be desired but they are manageable. I topped it all off with a new V46 Monokey case. I am very pleased with the outcome!

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
I wasn't about to drop $50 for a step drill to complete the job.
Harbor Freight & some hardware stores have
a 2-piece step-drill set for about $10...the larger
bit goes to over 1 inch.
We are only dealing with some plastics here,
not steel. They work great for wood also.
I needed the 1 inch size for mounting strobe
lights in the tail-light housings in my pickup truck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Duster - thanks for the info. I was doing online price checks at Lowe's but it never occurred to me to look into Harbor Freight. Even though the Givi mount is finished I may have a look for future uses.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Glad you figured it out, my experience exactly. Harbor Freight has everything, so long as you don't need anything at a professional level. Most works fine for pluggers!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts