Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a bit of difficulty with the wiring for the brake light on the E52 Gvi top case. Their instructions leave much to be desired and their English translation is terrible. The difficulty is the getting the brake light wires from the 650. I did manage to take off the correct panel on the back of the 650 to get to the brake light wires. I don't know which wire to use, it says positive and negative and I can't tell which is which. I also don't know how to detach one of those wires to connect with the top case wiring. I've got the top case all done as far as preparing it to connect to the wiring on the scooter. It's just getting the wires from the brake light on the 650 to connect with the top case wiring.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
You can buy in-line splice connector(s) (usually blue?) that will allow you to easily mate the top box wires to the brake light wires. I'd also add a little silicone for weather-proofing if it were me. For a good mechanical bond you might also want to tape them or zip-tie them together just before the connector.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
It's been a while since I've poked around in this subject area, but I think they make weatherproof splicers.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I installed the E52 with brakelight kit. The wiring was easy. GIVI should provide the clips to splice in. The wiring info above is correct.

I removed the rear lower panel and tapped into the right brakelight wires.

·
Premium Member
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just wanted to thank all of you for trying to help. I started another topic about this topic-go to "650 has lost all power." I had even more trouble which a let a mechanic fix, but it wasn't any fun, but it's done.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Inspired by this thread, I have today installed the extra brake lights in my Givi E52 trunk. I ordered the parts from Bykebitz (Reading, UK) and they arrived less than two days later. I was pleased with that!

The instructions were not brilliants but, helped by pictures and words on this site, it turned out to be an easy job ... and (unusually for me) it worked properly first time. :shock: I clipped into the wires for the rear left-hand side brake light and sealed the connections using tape. I checked it worked properly before reassembly.

The Givi arrangement is very neat and the end result most effective. :)

The only problem I had was when I was removing the lower rear panel. I was rather ham-fisted and managed to snap off one of the locating lugs (now duly fixed using Araldite). My advice to anybody else attempting to remove the lower rear panel is to pull downwards before pulling outwards, having first of all removed the two fiddly black Suzuki connectors beneath the rear panel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
3-M makes a dielectric grease filled wire connector that is outstanding for this type of wiring. The little gizmo holds three wires, pushed into one end, which are all spliced together when it is squeezed with a set of pliers. We use them in my line of work exclusively to prevent corrosion at the splice. No taping or other means of fastening is required.

And that's my 2 pennies worth...
Brad

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
weygold said:
Ok, I've done as much as I can without a complete teardown. Here's a link to the wiring photos for those interested. Just click on "Home" if you want to see the whole process.

http://www.weygold.us/burgman/topbox/lesson_2.php
Excellent write ups.

Wish I had seen this before I did my install.

Thanks for taking the time to write it up and post it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
On the instructions for installing the brake light in the E52, what does it mean "using a hammer and a suitable spanner, remove the premarked plastic part where the contacts have to be placed."? I can't tell what the spanner is and where it is placed. Thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
scoop; use a deep well socket of the suitable size and lay the rack on a peice of wood and knock the plug out.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I just had to have my rear plastic piece replaced because the mechanic at the dealership broke the tabs! :roll:
The only thing I don't like about the light kit is the metal prongs that stick out to make contact are really flimsy mine don't keep good contact.

·
Registered
259 Posts
The prongs on my E52 were making a weak connection and I had some arcing at the contacts.

I noticed that the contacts in the base of the case are not round, but 'D' shaped. When I rotated them to align the flat surface of the contact, with the flat surface of the insulated holder in the bottom of the case; then the spring loaded connection was tight and no more arcing.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Installed those brake lights too on my Givi V46.

Recently I installed the Comagination brake flasher to work ONLY on the Givi brake lights.

Works well.

Next project, is to install some LED panels behind the rest of the Givi reflectors that wrap around the box and splice them all together so they all flash (the little round ones in the centre of the Givi are a bit weak)
The LEDs arrived Friday.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts