Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming from the Vespa World, duplicate keys made by Vespa Dealers are very expensive as they have some sort of chip embedded. There is a source who can make duplicates of the spare key for a more reasonable amount. Are the Bergman keys expensive or is there a known source that can make them? Can the Suzuki dealer make them locally? Thanks...

·
Administrator
20,104 Posts
It does take a special blank. Some on here have ordered some. Now the ignition key shutter lock is a bit different. You can get the black knob and then insert the correct magnets to make it work.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
I went to a key shop and he cut me a key that went into the ignition but not far enough to turn on the bike. He just filed down the wide part of the key until it fit in far enough to start the bike. COST 2.50

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
I had a few keys made for a couple of bucks. Yes, The locksmith needs to file the key to make the shaft longer. I key the original keys in a safe place...at home. I will never, ever use the shutter lock. If you don't use the shutter, dupe keys are cheap.
edit: I keep a spare key hidden but easily accessable on the Burgie. I have used it 2x's.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
It's also wise to keep an original key under the seat in case someone closes the shutter so you can still open it without having to get one from home.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
The key blanks are:
ilco SUZ16 X276 - does not require the head to be cut back so the shaft is long enough
ilco SUZ18 x241 - requires the head to be cut back

·
Registered
231 Posts
model28a said:
It's also wise to keep an original key under the seat in case someone closes the shutter so you can still open it without having to get one from home.
"under the seat" is a bad place. Without the shutter key, you can't open the seat to get that key.
How about taped inside the locked glove box? Then a flat (lock smith) key in your wallet or taped somewhere on the bike can be use to open that glove box, to retrieve the shutter key, to open the trunk.

·
Registered
405 Posts
He has a good point because the shutter can be closed with just a stick...... but opening it you need the OEM key or a wrecking bar!

·
Registered
231 Posts
DoubleJ said:
... the shutter can be closed with just a stick...
That's the stupid part of the design!

·
Registered
85 Posts
for all the trouble these minor "workarounds" are and the potential for them you leave you seriously screwed, and then consider the crazy amount of money we willingly spend on mods to our burgs...why not just get the aftermarket shutter key off ebay for 10 bucks (make offer was accepted) and put in the little magnets which were really easy and just be done with it !

all im saying is, and this is IMHO, either disable the shutter so it cant be closed either on purpose or accident and then a cheap key is fine, otherwise, do it right and there are no worries.

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
AMEN! Simple as that.

A hair pin will get to the ignition switch anyway. That is a good place to tape an extra key, on top of the switch.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks... Many good ideas and comments. Years ago my Dad used to tape an extra key behind his license plate as the plate screws could be removed with a simple dime.

Cheers.....

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
SPS Tools, thank you for the correction. I wasn't thinking to clear that late at night. :oops:
But yes the glove box would work best. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
12,600 Posts
ace hardware has blanks that work 4 bucks and you are done but of course no magnets, that key fits in your wallet , and I hardly ever lock my a%% in my bike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts