Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. So, I either missed it in the user manual or assumed when I read it that anybody can put the tag on the bike. Well... I now have another opinion on that. I've looked at it, repeatedly and it seems like the best answer is to remove the tag mounting bracket from the bike (from under the fender) and then to put the tag onto the mounting bracket and then re-attach the bracket to the fender.

Do I have the gist of this correct?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Putting my new tag on to replace the 30-day tag the dealer had put on was one of those "this is one of the most stupid designs I've ever seen" moments. Mine had the nuts/screws that held the tag on with the nut on the outside, which meant you couldn't get to the philips-head of the bolt to keep if from spinning. I ended up taking the metal bracket off the plastic fender first. I reversed the nut/screws so the screw head was on the outside. I mounted my tag, then mounted the whole tag/bracket back onto the plastic fender.

With the screw head on the outside you can reach behind the tag to put a wrench on the nut and easily unscrew it. They SHOULD have put threaded inserts in the plastic fender and done away with the metal bracket, but perhaps it was a way to adapt the tag mount for whatever country the bike was sold in.

Dave B.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I decided just by looking at it.

I guess tag theft is a major concern somewhere so they decided to make it a little harder. Either that or they had multiple engineers do the design and they put them on backwards. :lol:

Joe

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Tag??? :?

Are you guys talking about the licence plate holder?

Never heard it called a tag before, if so.

I'm Canadian EH! :wink:

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
lilleyen said:
Tag??? :? Are you guys talking about the licence plate holder? Never heard it called a tag before, if so. I'm Canadian EH! :wink:
The "tag" is the license plate, or license tag as we call it. Calling it a tag allows phrases like "You've been tagged", or "better get that bike tagged". Calling it a plate gets confusing when you say "You've been plated." or "Better get that bike plated."

The license plate holder is more a mounting bracket. It doesn't hold the plate or tag, but rather the plate or tag can be mounted on it.

When we talk about total costs of a vehicle, we mention tag, taxes, and title.

But since you're Canadian, we forgive you for not knowing. :wink:

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
lilleyen said:
Tag??? :?

Are you guys talking about the licence plate holder?

Never heard it called a tag before, if so.

I'm Canadian EH! :wink:
That's okay. I call it a license plate or just plate for short. Maybe it's because I'm so close to the Canadian border. :wink:

We also have "tabs" which are purchased each year and adhere to the plate, and a "registration," and a "title." Gotta keep the registration (and proof of insurance) with the bike, and keep the title safe at home or in a safety deposit box -- never with the bike. (I'm told some states do it differently.)

So much documentation for such a little machine! :?

My permanent plate arrived at the dealer while I was on a tour, so I had it put on when I returned, while they were doing my 600 mile service. I've never really paid attention to how things were attached.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
In Ontario (might be different in other provinces), we have to get the VIN number of the machine (any number of wheels), to the insurance company somehow, so they can give the dealer a "proof of insurance", so the dealer can go to the DOT office and obtain the plates (permanent), , which have to go on the cage, or bike before it leaves the lot.
Whew! Long sentence.
No insurance, no plates! I believe they cost $60.00
(no insurance, no financing either, now that I think of it) :)

Usually we give the insurance company the dealers phone number and it's out of hands, or else we give our agents name and number to the dealer, same result.

Whole lot of phoning and faxing going on!
But it works, sort of.

One of the reasons we have to pay the dealers "admin" charges I guess. It's time consuming.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
lilleyen said:
In Ontario...the plates (permanent)...have to go on the cage or bike before it leaves the lot.

No insurance, no plates!
I wish they would do that here.

Although the law requires insurance, a lot of drivers don't have it (frequently habitual offenders who can't get it) but drive anyway -- raising rates for everyone to cover uninsured motorist claims.

Here the dealer attaches a temporary license, good for 30 days I think, to the bike or car at the time of sale. It's a multi-copy form, and the original is sent to the DOL and the copy becomes the temp. plate.

Also, here the plate is registered to the vehicle, and when you sell the vehicle the plate goes with it. If the new owner wants a vanity plate or just wants a different plate then the old one is destroyed. I only recently learned that in some states and provinces the plates belong to the person, and move from vehicle to vehicle.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Brian said:
snipped I only recently learned that in some states and provinces the plates belong to the person, and move from vehicle to vehicle.
Here that is optional.
The dealer (when you trade in a car) will ask you if you want your plates transferred to the new vehicle or want new ones (in case thay are rusty or beat up for instance).

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Down in Alabama, where I live... You have 20 days to get a tag for the bike (or license Plate, if you prefer). The dealer does nothing... Not for bikes, not for cars or trucks or even Cadillac's. You take your bill of sale and paperwork to the License Office (we get our Driver's licenses in the same place) and wait in line. Bring plenty of cash, since some offices won't take personal checks (fortunately, some do).

After a suitable amount of waiting, you get to the person behind the window and they act as if they've never done this before, even if the person in front of you got a tag from the same person. I think ineptitude is an Alabama thing.

They tell you how much money they want and you hand it to them and they hand you a tag and a receipt. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the amount of money they ask for. I guess it is what the market will bear. Oh, and you have to have your insurance card too, but you could've cancelled it before coming to the office and they would never know.

I'm expecting the tag/plate to cost around $100. But, at least now I know why my bike didn't have the Tag Applied card that most have... Dealer couldn't figure out how to put it on. :lol:

Joe

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
january14 said:
--snip--

After a suitable amount of waiting, you get to the person behind the window and they act as if they've never done this before, even if the person in front of you got a tag from the same person. I think ineptitude is an Alabama thing.
No way! They have got the same act going in Nebraska. Come to think of it, Connecticut wasn't much better. It is a DMV thing. I think they take "line management" training. The issue is that no line in front of the windows should ever get too short! :lol:

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I have to give kudos to my local office of the Washington State Department of Licensing.

A few years ago they moved into a spacious new office, and they have a "Take A Number" machine and a nice, big waiting room with lots of upholstered chairs. The wait may not be any shorter than it was before, but it's much more pleasant now.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Brian said:
A few years ago they moved into a spacious new office, and they have a "Take A Number" machine and a nice, big waiting room with lots of upholstered chairs.
That's exactly what my county registration office did a few years ago when they remodeled. Instead of one or two grumpy clerks, they have as many as 10 pleasant employees available on busy days, and comfortable chairs to sit in while you write out your check or hand over your credit card. I try to go on non-critical days, and have never had to wait more than a minute or two. Their take-a-number machine is pretty much ignored when they aren't backed up. You walk through the door and at least three people will pleasantly ask "May I help you?".

1 - 15 of 15 Posts