Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok another dumb question.

Would it make a difference if I go in for my 600 mile service with 650?

I am at 597 right now, but may need to make a quick run to work and back on the scoot (my wife needs my car today as her's is in the shop). I think this is OK, but am just typically paranoid re warranties (it does say 600 miles not 650 in the owners manual) though I do not think it would hurt the scoot. or could it?

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I would not think that a margin that represent less than 10% of the recommendation would cause the dealer or Suzuki any real concern.

But to protect your warranty (because that is what we are talking about) just ring your dealer and get the OK.

You are not being paranoid.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
the 600 mile check up is important but the 600 miles is a recommendation, a few hundred miles one way or the other will not matter to anyone.
Yes it's better if it were done sooner then later ,but I doubt that it makes much difference 8)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Norman. If you are ever in the NY/NJ area let me know, the wife and I will show you around Manhattan.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
JohnnyDeath said:
Thanks Norman. If you are ever in the NY/NJ area let me know, the wife and I will show you around Manhattan.
Hi Johnny

Well thank you, that is so kind.

Actually, my wife and I were in New York to celebrate one of our wedding anniversaries ( cannot remember which one - she would hate that :wink: ).

We were only there for 3 days and absolutely loved it! (It was prior to 9/11 we had done the touristy Twin Towers thing which made that awful event really hit home - and we did not lose a loved one!)

Hope to get back one day.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
casek said:
If you don't take your 650 in at exactly 600 miles, it turns into moped! :D
NOOOoooooo! :crybaby:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
JohnnyDeath said:
Ok another dumb question.

Would it make a difference if I go in for my 600 mile service with 650?
No. I just took mine in for its 11,000 service with 11,250 miles on it. Contrary to one reponse you received - it did NOT turn into a moped. :wink:

Oh... Maybe that only happens at the 600 mile service... :roll:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Johnny, question your dealer carefully on exactily what he will do, and at what price. Some dealers are not checking the valves with claims that Suzuki says its ok, and some of these are charging for having done the valves. If he says $75, 100, 150, or whatever...and is not doing the valves, you are essentially paying for 2 quarts of oil and a $6 filter. If he ain't gonna do the valves, then why not change your own oil, buy a suzuki filter, keep the receipts, and a log of having done it. That validates the warranty.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Everyone goes through the same thing your going through. After talking to 3 dealers, 150 -250 bucks for the "work" and asking all sorts of questions on this forum, I decided to change the oil and filter myself. Tightened a bunch of bolts and I
will bring it in a 3K miles to have them look at the valves. 2 dealers said the same thing, a valve adj. at 600 miles is not necessary. Whatever you do, make sure that you have clear understanding of what they are going to do, you CAN'T trust all the dealers. :evil: I did mine at 850 miles and at 1100 miles, wow! the bike ran like a different bike, I love it. :p

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do not think they are doing the valves as Suzuki does not list that for the first service. The oil and filter are no charge, this time, as I bought the scoot there, however they are getting me for some labor as they have to "tighten and return everything to spec".

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hi

We are running into potential confusion here again.

Mixing up the 650 and 400 when it comes to what is or is not required when it comes to inspecting/adjusting valve clearances.

They have different arrangements with the 400 just plain old adjusting screw and lock nut and the 650 having 'shim' under bucket.

Ted and his colleagues have practical experience of the valve clearance issues in the 400. I have not done mine yet.

I would expect the 650 behaviour in this area to be different - I just do not know how different.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so... who on a 650 has had a vlve adjustment, when and could ya feel the difference.

Also I know some have added a heavier oil to the fork. It can be quite bumpy on some of our Old Jersey roads. Wouldn't this stiffen up the front suspension, and would that mean a bouncier not smoother ride?

·
Registered
605 Posts
OK,

Even though I have a 400 I do know that the 650 is not scheduled for valve checks at the 600 mile mark. With the bucket under shim design, unlike the screw tappets of the 400 model, the one real big advantage is the valve clearances for this motor are very stable. So I think the first scheduled valve check is at 14,500 miles. You have a long way to go and even at that you may find none of the shims need to be changed.

Don't let the dealer try to rope you on this one because it can take quite alot of shop time to perform a proper job.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
NormanB said:
Hi

We are running into potential confusion here again.

Mixing up the 650 and 400 when it comes to what is or is not required when it comes to inspecting/adjusting valve clearances.

They have different arrangements with the 400 just plain old adjusting screw and lock nut and the 650 having 'shim' under bucket.

Ted and his colleagues have practical experience of the valve clearance issues in the 400. I have not done mine yet.

I would expect the 650 behaviour in this area to be different - I just do not know how different.
Very, very different. Totally different approach. The 650 has "shim under bucket" valve adjusters. Many motorcycles use these too. The shims come in various thicknesses, which is how the clearances are adjusted. Much more dis-assembly is required for the adjustment process and it is more labor intensive. The advantage is that this system holds its adjustment much longer than threaded adjusters - that is why the recommended adjustment interval is 14,500 miles. Many motorcycle owners go well beyond the recommended adjustment intervals without any problems. I think it is important to get the first adjustment done at 14500 miles - after that, the machine could likely go 20,000 to 30,000 miles before the next adjustment. My Kawasaki Concours motorcycle had shim type adjusters, and many owners told me that they doubled or tripled the mileage between recommended valve adjustment intervals. I personally doubled the mileage between valve adjustments on mine - and the valves were within spec each time. On average, my mechanic changed maybe 3 or 4 shims on that 16 valve engine, just to return several valves to the "loose" side of spec.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
JohnnyDeath said:
...Would it make a difference if I go in for my 600 mile service with 650?...I do not think it would hurt the scoot. or could it?
I can't say about the warranty, but I can say that it won't hurt the bike. A difference of 50 miles is nothing.

As mentioned above, not all dealers are clear on the Burgman service requirements. My dealer actually showed me a printout of what was required when I scheduled the service, and charged me a very reasonable fee...lower than what most others in my area seem to have paid (and MUCH lower than one member here, also from the Seattle area).

If you are at all unsure about your dealer's experience it wouldn't hurt to take a copy of the schedule from the owner's manual when you take it in.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts