Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Yes, two annoying problems that have recently surfaced, but at least the bike is still useable !
These two problems cropped up at the same time, having just re-set the Oil Change interval reminder on the dash (iaw the owners handbook). This had to be done as the at the last oil service, the workshop forgot to re-set the interval reminder! Anyway, having successfully re-set the display reminder, and then started the engine, both problems showed up. The engine started and idled just fine (and still does), but no rev counter indication (despite the initial self-test full scale deflection with ignition on being OK) and the immobiliser light now staying permanently on !
So, I went ahead with checking obvious electrical connections in and around the dash instruments, and the immobiliser wiring from the ignition switch, but nothing unusual. A local workshop plugged in the diagnostic PC and found no fault codes stored in the ECU. Great !
Now I'm struggling to understand what could be wrong hence airing these problems here. Any advice gratefully received.
Thanks.

Steve​

·
Premium Member
6,178 Posts
I would disconnect the battery & let it sit for a minute or so & then reconnect & give it a try. Not sure that will fix it but it wouldn't hurt it to try. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would disconnect the battery & let it sit for a minute or so & then reconnect & give it a try. Not sure that will fix it but it wouldn't hurt it to try. ;)
Interesting you say that Mike, as I did have reason to change the battery during my fault finding mission ! And.....yes, the rev counter burst into life momentarily post battery change, and then failed again, but the immobiliser light just stayed stubbornly on (needless to say, it went out with the battery disconnected). For the record, the battery was disconnected for approx 48 hrs. The quest continues.......oh for an easy to fix mechanical fault as opposed to wiggly amp snags which I loathe !;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys, I know this was posted 2013 but I have just developed the exact same problem.
Any help would be great.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
any recent maintenance, no matter how unrelated. even washing, or a little drop to one side? Birds nests? :D , sitting a long time?

·
Registered
3 Posts
any recent maintenance, no matter how unrelated. even washing, or a little drop to one side? Birds nests? :D , sitting a long time?
Hi Mikey, it was out in a torrential downpour a week ago.
It’s been warm and sunny for the past 5 days.

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
Hi Mikey, it was out in a torrential downpour a week ago.
It’s been warm and sunny for the past 5 days.
If it was ok before the rain and broke some time after, water intrusion can take a while to go away, a long windy ride may help blow away unwanted moisture in connectors and such, I had a 400 die when i washed it, water in dash area. took a tow truck to get it home and a couple days in florida sun to dry out. Haven't washed a bike since! S.W.M'B.o> says same DOES NOT apply to me :mad:

·
Registered
3 Posts
If it was ok before the rain and broke some time after, water intrusion can take a while to go away, a long windy ride may help blow away unwanted moisture in connectors and such, I had a 400 die when i washed it, water in dash area. took a tow truck to get it home and a couple days in florida sun to dry out. Haven't washed a bike since! S.W.M'B.o> says same DOES NOT apply to me :mad:
Cheers Mikey, I appreciate this. We have had a few sunny days since the downpour.
I’ll make sure it covered before the next rain.
Happy Christmas 🎄

1 - 8 of 8 Posts