Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yup I did it again. Dropped my 650 on it's side, and now she has matching scrapes on both sides of her :mad:

Funny thing is that both drops happened at a similar road setup. For lack of a better word I'll call it a double incline. It's where both sides of the intersection are at an incline. Same scenario as the first time. I came up to the end of my road, to a main cross street that was on a downward direction. Stopped and put my left foot down and before I realized I had stopped at the downward angle of the cross street the bike had tilted over too far for me to hold up.

Found out how heavy that bike was when its laying on its side and needed to be picked up on an incline all by yourself. That Burg outweighed me by several hundred pounds but thank goodnes for that video on how to pickup a heavy bike I saw on you tube I was able to get it up. Took me three attempts and one stupid front pickup attempt that failed miserably :D But I got it back up. And of course just right after picking that lardy up a truck pulls up behind me. Really you couldn't have come a few minutes earlier.:roll eyes:

Anyways that's my sad story. :sad: Thanks for letting me vent guys

·
Registered
352 Posts
Ouch! :(

Glad you didn't get hurt, and the Burg only got matching scratches.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Now that learnt for both sides, the scoot must have developed full immunity from falling again.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
it's Good to Install Some Rubber Bumpers, Pins on the side, So when it drops it wont Damage your Tupperware,,

it work for me when i dropped my 400 kept it from Scratching the Tupperware,

Elliott,

·
Registered
252 Posts
Makes me wonder if a 400 is better for new bike riders as the weight takes experience and some getting used to. Even an experienced rider like deflorence finds the weight tricky at times. I finally will buy a 400 in February and am glad I stuck with the decision.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it's Good to Install Some Rubber Bumpers, Pins on the side, So when it drops it wont Damage your Tupperware,,

it work for me when i dropped my 400 kept it from Scratching the Tupperware,

Elliott,
Elliott, What do you mean by Pins?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Forgot to mention aside from the scratches I also have a busted turn signal lens. Anyone know where I can get a set cheap?

Nice thing about these executives is the mirrors fold when pressure is applied to it, in turn minimizes the damage to the whole unit.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Makes me wonder if a 400 is better for new bike riders as the weight takes experience and some getting used to. Even an experienced rider like deflorence finds the weight tricky at times. I finally will buy a 400 in February and am glad I stuck with the decision.

Definitely very good decision you made there. I just got an 08 400 myself and love the difference between the two. I'm 5'5" and 155 lbs and the 650 can get to be a handful in certain conditions for me. But I still love the 650. One of the best bikes I've ever owned. Was enjoying the 400 till it had a flat in the rear last Saturday. :(

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Foot Pegs, like the ones that Extra Riders use to put there Foot on! on the back seat, There long enough to keep Tupperware safe!

Elliott,

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Do you have insurance that will cover the damages ?

TheReaper!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Always set the parking brake when you lift the whale up because if you right it and it rolls-------:happy2:

Be careful because when you right it, if you to it with too much muscle, they have been known to just fall over on the other side.:(

Sam:)

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
With a 650, unless you are stopping on a flat, level surface, one must ALWAYS be mindful of how a slope will affect the balance when it's time to put a foot down - especially for us short guys. I try to always give myself an up-slope option, even if it means angling the bike a bit cross-ways at a stop - even an inch can make a big difference.

Live and learn. I have one 400 drop, and 2 650 drops in my nine years of riding - all slope related.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think that would be 165 cm & 70.3 kilos ;)
Yes I do, but my deductible is $500. The damages on the sides can be covered with a reflector sticker of some form of rubber bumper as another member suggested. The mirror signal lens would probably be less than a $100 so It's better for me to just repair/cover up the damages than go through my insurance who is just chomping at the bits to raise my rates. :p

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Always set the parking brake when you lift the whale up because if you right it and it rolls-------:happy2:

Be careful because when you right it, if you to it with too much muscle, they have been known to just fall over on the other side.:(

Sam:)
Sam I found that out the hard way on one of my attempts and forgot to hold the brakes while lifting. And I almost dropped in on it's other side when I got it upright since it laid over the left side. The side with the side stand of all things. :mad: Trying to turn around and kick down the side stand while balancing on and incline and keeping it from rolling back was a tough one. My back is certainly reminding me today of how heavy Lardy was.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
With a 650, unless you are stopping on a flat, level surface, one must ALWAYS be mindful of how a slope will affect the balance when it's time to put a foot down - especially for us short guys. I try to always give myself an up-slope option, even if it means angling the bike a bit cross-ways at a stop - even an inch can make a big difference.

Live and learn. I have one 400 drop, and 2 650 drops in my nine years of riding - all slope related.
Jeff your definitely right. I normally do try and stop at the sweet spot of this intersection, but last night I would have to say was my fault entirely. A moment of inattentiveness caused me to miss my mark and stopped at the worst possible angle of this intersection. Once it tipped over on the low side of the incline there was no way I could hold it up.

Funny thing is that I've had bikes heavier than my Burg (close to 1,000 lbs) and have come close to dropping them as well, but was always able to catch it and muscle it back up. From my observation on last nights tip over the reason I can't hold the Burg up is due to the lack of the tank in the center. I have no place to grip the tank with my legs to help me muscle the bike up like I used to be able to do with my motorcycles.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts