Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have dropped my bike and to make things worse when I grabbed for the handle I gave it some gas so I accelerated along the pavement. Heartbreaking. It is a blue 2005 650. Amy suggestions?

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Any suggestions?
You can always replace the damaged parts, and caulk it up to a learning experience.
If nothing is cracked, a body shop could repaint, or if just the bottom, contrast repaint after sandind it down.
So long as you walked away without needing "body" work :D

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Just to be sure, how are you doing? We tend to worry about our bikes first. Make sure you take care of yourself first, then let us know what happened.

Maybe pics? From there a few of the seasoned can help you sort out the bike
and get it back to shiny. We would like to know what happened if you could share. We all make mistakes, but we don't want to remake each other's mistakes.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Most important thing is that you are in good shape. Repairing/replacing bikes is just a matter of time and money. Bodies are not so easily healed.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Sort of did the same thing when I first got mine.
Starting twisting throttle while I was wrestling with beast.
Realized it in time!

Now if I get in a similar situation I grab the grip with my hand over the kill switch.
Solves that problem at least! :)

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bike. Hopefully you didnt suffer too much damage to your own body.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
As others have said, take care of yourself first. Great you're ok.
Then talk to your insurance person. You can elect to leave the bike as is, ride it banged up for a while. Or put in a claim with your insurance to get it fixed, have a shop do an estimate on repairing the panels, or just order new ones and tack them on yourself.

You say the bike accellerated after you tipped? Isn't the engine supposed to shut off if the bike goes on it's side?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Brewman said:
--snip--
You say the bike accellerated after you tipped? Isn't the engine supposed to shut off if the bike goes on it's side?
I think Allwalk also stated that his engine was still running after his scooter went down.

We have recently had one member state that there is a cutoff switch that shuts the engine off if the scooter goes horizontal. They didn't give a source for that info. We've recently had two riders mention the engine still running after the scooter was down. So I am very sceptical about that cutoff switch. Either it does not exist, or it doesn't always function properly.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
When I dropped my 650 (the first day I had it) I had a similar experience where the throttle twisted while I was trying (very hard) to recover the bike, & it lunged out from under me. In that case, also, the motor continued to run while on it's side. I very distinctly remember having to hit the kill switch to shut it down before I picked it up.

Net result: broken mirror housing on the bike (now replaced), cracked ribs & toe on me (finally healed), damaged hood & grill on Mom's car (still working on it).

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
The bike can balance while moving on the lower leg side cover and tires. I don't think it will shut off until it's totally horizontal (mirror smashed and all that stuff).

Had mine laid over in beach sand. Luckily just minor scuff marks. The tires and weight of these things can be a problem in loose gravel, and even wet sand.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
I'm going to give my service manual a closer look when I get a chance.
I saw reference to a tip over switch when I was browsing the book a while back, but I didn't study the schematic to see how it was wired into the bike. I wonder if just shutting off the juice to the fuel pump would allow the bike to run for a few seconds, which is reall quite a long time, under the circumstances.
Interesting.................

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I would consult Dee she has first hand and 'hands on' experience of resurrecting a wreck - so she is something of an expert now.

But you could start by getting the bike naked and checking there is no damage to chassis attachment points or bracing struts. As for the panels it depends how deep your pockets are - me I would be tempted to do all the prep needed and then take them to a pro paint shop. (this can wait untill winter if you have one of those :wink: ).

·
Registered
235 Posts
The very first day I had my 400 I tipped it over, and like you grabbed the handlebar (read: throttle) and figured out pretty quickly that it was a bad thing... The bike didn't shut off when it was tipped over, sadly, but there wasn't a whole lot of damage, just white scratches on its lovely silver body.

So after riding with it scratched on the left side for a year, a few weeks ago I decided to get it repaired. I took it to a couple of auto repair places, who said they didn't do plastic repair. Upon a recommendation, I took it to a different place who specializes in ATV/off road cycle repair and he gave me a $600 estimate to remove, sand, fill, paint, and reinstall both the front leg shield and the left side leg shield. The dealership quoted $800. At that price I could learn to live with the scratches!

I ordered replacement panels online, will be here this Friday. Cost: $270.

I've already had the old panels off, just to see if I could remove them easily, and it wasn't a big deal. The service manual clearly shows how to do it. And even without the service manual, it was easy to figure out (didn't have the service manual info until AFTER I already had the panels off). In fact, once I had those two scratched ones off, I started removing all of the ones on the back end because I wanted to install tail light flashers and needed access to the wires. Probably didn't need to remove all of the rear panels but it was fun.

Replace the panels yourself. It's fun. Search these forums and you'll find the names of a few different places who offer online fiches of the bike so you'll know exactly what you need to order.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
With the cost of labor for paint jobs, especially small ones, I can see where new panels might be within the cost of paying a pro to repaint, especially nice that the panels come pre painted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks

Thanks to everyone, I am fine. I think I may replace the panel. Today, someone backed into the front fender. To repaint would be about 200 Canadian, to replace 140! By the way these two mishaps happened after arriving home after travelling to Connecticut and back -- a 1,000 mile trip. Just goes to show the accidents happen at home when your guard is down.

One bright light is that I think I found a good paint for the 2005 Blue BurgmanIt is made for Toyota and is called Stellar Blue. The make is Duplicolor and the code is TY01612. It sure looks close to me for small touch ups.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts